Problem with Upper and Lower Blep After 15 Years

I had upper and lower blep 15 years ago. Everything was fine until approximately 6 months ago when people started to look at me very strangely. Well, my left eye has now shrunk and is a different shape to my wider right eye. I don't understand what has happened? I do not want to go back to my original surgeon as I don't care for him and he didn't do a particularly good job in the first place. Very, very, depressed and distressed over this. Can anything be done?

Changes in eyes after 15 years

+2

15 years is a long time to expect no change in your blepharoplasty.  Without an exam it is hard to say, but , if I were to speculate, I would say that you have had some fat atrophy in the smaller eye which has caused it to sink back in the socket and thus appear smaller.  Fat atrophy is a natural consequence of aging.  I would consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

There are many options.

+2

Long term changes after apparently successful eyelid surgery is relatively common.  Truthfully, many changes occur around the eyes over the course of many years with or without prior surgery.  Surgery does not stop the clock.  The issue for you is finding a surgeon who can diagnose the basis for the issues that are troublesome and develop a plan to address them.  This may involve reconstructive surgery or non-surgical treatments that include the relatively new hyaluronic acid fillers.

Problem 15 years after upper and lower eyelid surgery

+1

I have performed eyelid surgery for well over 20 years and I can imagine your surgery 15 years ago had any effect on the changes you mentioned starting 6 months ago.  You should, IMHO have a thorough examination by an occuloplastic or plastic and cosmetic surgeon to rule out medical and other conditions for these sudden changes 15 years after your eyelid surgery.

Sudden changes in eyelid position

+1

I would recommend consultation with a facial plastic surgeon after you've consulted with an ophthalmologist first to make sure that you do not have any issues going on with your eyelid motor function. It is unusual for surgery that was done 15 years ago to affect a change at this time.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changes 15 years After Blepharoplasty

+1

The results of surgery are fairly stable after 1 year, so a sudden change is worrisome for a new problem that has developed.  Your best bet is to start with an ophthalmologist for a thorough eye exam.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery San Diego

+1
It is impossible to have an inkling of what is going on without photos, but after 15 years, it is quite possible that your new onset of asymmetry is unrelated to your blepharoplasty. You may have a tumor, cyst, neurological problem, or, if you recently got Botox or Dysport, related ptosis. See a physician, preferably a plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or ophthalmologist.

Steve Laverson, MD