Supposed to Have Lollipop Lift but Woke Up with Anchor Lift? Parts of Areola Going Down from of Breast. (photo)

I went in for lollipop lift. They said surgery went great. Two days later I realized they did the Anchor lift. This is not what I agreed to. When I asked the Dr. He said " oh well there was a dog ear of skin and i had to do the full anchor" This was never mentioned to me as a possibility and I have never heard about this happening. Then part of my areola is going down the breast. he said it was normal because I had large areolas. But I havent seen this before either. I dont know what to do

Supposed to Have Lollipop Lift but Woke Up with Anchor Lift

+3

Both of these things do happen. It is nice to have some preparation, but not everything can be foreseen, and without seeing pre-op photos I couldn't comment on whether either problem could have bee predicted and discussed. 

As far as the incision goes, it appears that you also have received implants, which further interferes with predictability. I do think many patients would be more upset to have a large irregularity at the end of the incision that would likely require the incision in the fold at a later time than to have the added incision, which is the most hidden of the three parts of an anchor lift, done at the time.

With large areolae it is not uncommon to have some pigmented tissue along the vertical incision. Taking that tissue out would have resulted in a defect too wide to close without undue tension that could lead to some combination of wide and thick scar, wound breakdown, and distortion.  After some months when the  skin is not so tight, the pigmented area can be excised usually in the office under local anesthesia.

Hope this explains the decisions that were made by your surgeon. Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Breast Lifts: Incision Possibilities

+1

The lollipop breast lift is a great way to reduce the extra scar often required of an anchor lift.  However, at surgery, after doing the lollipop lift with an implant, it is sometimes found that extra skin is still present.  This skin is trimmed with a short scar in the breast crease.  A "real" anchor lift is usually a much longer scar than the shorter scar done with a lollipop lift.   The short scar in the breast crease usually fades very well.

You will likely be a good candidate for a revision to remove the excess areolar skin from the vertical portion of your lift scar.   If you did not have an implant, it is likely that the surgeon could have removed all the pigmented areolar skin.  With the implant, it was likely too tight to get all this skin removed and the incision closed.  In about 6 months or so, your doctor can likely get all this darker skin removed.   Hope this helps!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Issues with lift

+1

Sometimes when the areola are quite large a small portion is left within the incision below the new position. This can often be revised at a later time to remove the remainder. Usually if  this is going to happen it is pointed out with the markings.  As for the small "T" at the bottom this can happen as well.

Retained areola in incision

+1

Thanks for your inquiry and the pictures. Retained areola in the vertical incision can happen commonly when the areola is wide and takes up a large surface area of the breast.  I am very proactive in telling patients who will have retained areola before the procedure to expect it.  After the tissues relax over time usually 6 months to a year, your surgeon will be able to remove this pigmented skin.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Concerns after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although your concerns are understandable, both of these issues can occur and neither should  detract from the long-term results  of your procedure. The short horizontal incision is sometimes necessary to remove excess skin in that area;  it is unlikely that this scar will be of concern ( or even visible)  in the long-term.

As you know,  what you see along the  upper part of the vertical incision line is residual dark areola skin (left over from your original large areola size).  This pigment is still present because it is not possible to remove it completely during the breast augmentation/mastopexy operation, without distorting the breasts.  This residual pigmented skin can often be excised in the future.

Mastopexy results

+1

Your question is an example of why patients should not be afraid to discuss their concerns and expectations with their surgeon.  Before a surgery is performed, everyone should be on the same page.  This is why I encourage my patients to come in for 2nd consults, and more if needed prior to surgery.  I recommend that you make an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Without seeing pre-op photos, it is hard to say why he did the surgery the way he did it.  It also appears that you have implants.   Also, in most mastopexy surgeries, a large areola is reduced.  If you decide to seek a second opinion, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).

Robert E. Zaworski, MD