Can my Problem Be Sorted? Rippling/discomfort

i had 340cc implants over the muscle and have severe rippling on 1 breast. i was quite empty pre-op. I experience discomfort and shooting pains on that one despite having surgery 18 months ago. I was told nothing at all could be done when i went back to see them and sent away being told to put weight on which i struggle with, but am the same weight as when i had surgery.can something be done? and is the pain caused by the rippling which is what i was told?

Rippling of Breast Implants?

+1

Rippling refers to the visible or palpable “waviness” of a breast implant.  This may be seen with any type of breast implant but is more common with saline  breast implants and more severe if an implant is deflating ( compared to a appropriately filled implant).

Palpability  and rippling of breast implants may be related to several factors. These include the amount of soft tissue and breast tissue coverage over the breast implants, the position of the breast implants (submuscular versus sub glandular), the type of implants (saline versus silicone), and the degree of overfilling of saline filled implants. Generally, weight loss will extension weight any rippling/palpability  of the implants.  Deflation of the implants will also increase the rippling/palpability of the implants.

Correction of the rippling may involve further surgery including implant pocket exchange if possible ( sub glandular to submuscular), implant exchange if possible (saline to silicone), and/or the use of allograft to provide an additional layer of tissue between the implant and the patient's skin. Patient weight gain (if possible) may also be helpful.

Do you have a breast implant capsular contracture.

+1

I would need to conduct a physical exam to provide you with a more specific diagnosis. However, from your description, I would suspect you may have early capsular contracture which can make rippling worse and be associated with pain.

Rippling

+1

Rippling with implants happens more commonly in very thin patients with little to not soft tissue covcerage over the implants.  Sometimes overfilling the saline implant may help.  Others can benefit from alloderm coverage but it can be very expensive.

Rippling with Breast Implants

+1

Rippling of breast implants is a common phenomenon when placed in thin women and especially over the muscle.  In thin women, there are few indications to place the implant above the muscle, and one must accept this as an expected outcome.  This can usually be corrected with the use of silicone implants and having them placed beneath the muscle.  The pain, however, is not related to the rippling, but can be related to the breast capsule if it is contracting.  The incidence of contracture is higher with implants placed above the muscle.  Discuss this with your surgeon to come to a solution.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rippling Can Sometimes bve Improved by Moving Implants Below Muscle

+1

There is a higher incidence of rippling with implants which have been placed above the muscle, especially in thin women.  I would suggest moving your implants to a location below the pectoralis muscle and would also suggest changing to silicone implants if saline was chosen initially.

John Whitt, MD