Problem with Liquid Silicone Injections in the Face? (photo)

I received facial silicone injections in the early 80s. I never had any complications until about a year ago when I started developing a dark patch on one on my cheeks that's getting darker. It has a shade of dark purple or black and seems to be underneath the top layers of skin. Sometimes, the affected area is raised a bit but goes down in a couple of days. It feels a bit lumpy if I run my hand over it, but there is no pain. Any idea what this could be?

Removal of liquid silicone in the face - Los Angeles

+1

May be due to inflammation from the silicone if in fact it was injected in the area. I would begin with an examination to determine if the silicone can be removed safely. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Discoloration After Filler Injections

+1

I do not think what you are describing has anything to do with your silicone injections over twenty years ago. Many things can cause discoloration and a temporarily raised area of the skin. That being said, I suggest you follow up with a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Liquid silicone

+1

The old adage is "that it works great until it doesn't!"  That is the same with liquid silicone injections.  It is tough to deal with.