Problem with Left Malar Implant

I'm 10 weeks post op malar implants. From the beginning, I felt that the left implant is too close to my eye. I had a constant sensation of tearing. As time progresses, the right side has healed nicely. However, the left side still has a lump like knot in the temple area with a dent or ridge behind it. It just doesnt seem that the tissue wants to lay down evenly.My surgeon attributes this to too much massage, though I massaged both equally. Could he have placed the left implant improperly?

Cheek Implant Position

+1

Without a picture or the opportunity to examine you, your signs and symptoms suggest the implant is misplaced or not laying flat on tthe underlying bones. If you remain concerned, ask your surgeon for an x-ray which will answer your question.

Tail of the Implant protruding

+1

From your description the tail or lateral extention of the prosthsis is not fitting properly and prottruding out. That is what you are feeling as a bump and ridge. Please consult your surgeon for a reevaluation and possible revision where the tail may be featherd out to fit without any ridges.

Zain Kadri, MD

Uneven malar implant

+1

It sound like the position of the implant might be uneven or possibly it isn't hugging the bone ( not lying under the periostium, the tight tissue covering bone). Another possibility is that you had a preexisting assymetry of the cheek (malar) bone which pushes the implant off slightly. In either case, examination should yield the proper answer and possibly a revision (removal and re implant) might be necessary. Your doctor should give you straight answers or seek a second opinion.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon