Problem Ears After Rhinoplasty

Hi, I have just had rhinoplasty done 2 days ago with cartilage from both my ears. One of the ear has 2 deep cuts. They will not stop bleeding, blood looks thin. Other ear has developed a hematoma in the concha. (Purplish, very tender, swollen and skin is thin) My plastic surgeon has merely assure me to take antibiotics and wait till both ears get better. They are not bandaged except for in the back where the cuts are made. Ears hurt more then nose. Please advice.

Ear cartilage grafts

+1

A hematoma after ear cartilage harvesting or an infection can be disastrous. You should see your surgeon often and be evaluated for this potential problem.

Urgent Problem

+1

Almost certainly you will have some post-op deformity of your ears unless this is treated promptly.  I do a fair number of auricular cartilage grafts and have never seen this appearance  in the immediate post-op period.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear hematoma is not to be ignored

+1

An ear hematoma after surgery (or after any trauma) should not be ignored.  It may need to be drained to prevent cauliflower ear from forming.  Please don't wait to be seen!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty complications

+1

Filalee

From your description and the photos it looks like you are developing a hematoma as a result of cartilage harvest. This happens when blood or fluids get trapped beneath the skin and continue to expand. It is important that you have this evaluated by your surgeon or someone familiar with ears right away as left untreated this can lead to infection, scarring and thickened appearance of the ear (known as "califlower ear")

Best wishes

Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon