Problem After Lower Eyelid Surgery, Can it be Fixed? (photo)

Several years ago I had a lower eyelid surgery. The corner of my left eye ripped a little and when the doctor stitched it my left eye opening is now smaller than my right eye, making me look like I have ptosis. Can this corner be reopened and skin added so I have more of an opening. I have tried exercising left eye but skin just pulls in left hand corner and has no where to stretch. I just had my upper lids done but the problem still exists.

Ptosis of the upper lids not caused by lower eyelid surgery.

+1

Photograph demonstrates slight malposition of the right lower lid after surgery. There some asymmetric positioning of the upper lids. Whether not attempted correction is worthy of surgery depends on how much these aesthetic issues bother you.

Upper lid ptosis

+1

It looks like you may have mild ptosis in both lids, left worse than right.  You may benefit from having an Oculoplastic Surgeon evaluate you and to see if you would benefit from ptosis surgery. Best of luck, 

Christopher I. Zoumalan, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

+1

You have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis, left greater than left. It is unlikely related to previous lower eyelid surgery. Best to get evaluated by oculoplastic surgeon. Consider upper eyelid ptosis surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Left upper eyelid ptosis

+1

The photo you have posted illustrates a few points:

1. You actually do have upper eyelid ptosis, and the left side is slightly worse than your right side. This is partially why the left eye seems smaller than the right. Point 2 is the other reason.

2. Your right lower eyelid is slightly retracted [pulled inferiorly], especially to the outside corner. This is the second reason why your right seems bigger than the left.

Obviously, these photos do not take the place of an in-person consultation, but my recommendation would be for bilateral upper eyelid ptosis repair [left greater than right] and right lower eyelid retraction repair.

Below I've provided a link so that you can consult an experienced Oculoplastics surgeon near you.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

In general, these problems can be fixed.  A full assessment is necessary by a qualified Ophthalmic Plastic surgeon. ASOPRS has a web site where you can find a physician near you.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Correction of problems after blepharoplasty surgery

+1

Changes in lower eyelid position after blepharoplasty are challenging to repair but  generally can be improved.  There are numerous factors that must be considered in these cases including lower eyelid volume, relative tightness or laxity of the skin and the tendons that support the lid, and scarring within the eyelid to name but a few.  Due to the complex nature of these situations, different surgeons may offer different solutions.  This doesn't mean that one person is "right" and another "wrong", just that there can be more than one way to approach each situation.  I suggest you find a physician you trust before moving forward with more surgery.  More than 1 procedure may be needed to produce ideal outcomes. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

You do have a very complex symmetry issue.

+1

A personal assessment would be necessary to offer a well informed opinion regarding your asymmetry.  Based on your photos, your explanation of the basis for your asymmetry really does not make sense.  An analysis of before and after photos would be very helpful together with a detailed physical examination.  Your upper eyelid are markedly ptotic and there is a superior sulcus deformity that also contributes to your situation.  Before any additional surgery is undertaken, I would recommend that you have your dry eye status assessed.  Please proceed with the utmost care.

Very tough

+1

This is a tough problem to fix. The problem is indeed visible in the pictures. Skin grafting on the upper lip rarely looks great. It may be possible the revision surgery could be done to release the scar and or tighten the muscle. I would recommend you see an experienced occuloplastic surgeon as this will require a very experienced hand to fix

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon