Can You Using Proactive and Taking Doxycyline Pills Together?

I am under Dr. prescription for taking Doxycyline pills twice a day. Also, my mom just bought Proactive for me. I am wondering if i can using both of them together , to get a better result ? Are there any harm for taking Doxycyline and using Proactive ?

Benzoyl peroxides work well with oral antibiotics

+1

I agree with the prior responses.  Not only do benzoyl peroxides (such as Proactiv) often improve the results obtained from an oral antibiotic (such as doxycycline) alone, but the Proactiv may help reduce the risk of building up antibacterial resistance with extended use of the doxycycline.  Way to go mom!

Columbia Dermatologist

Certainly! They work well together.

+1

Proactive is a topical benzoyl peroxide (BP). BPs are long standing and useful treatments for acne vulgaris. Oral antibiotics, such as Doxycycline, act in synergy with topical treatments to control acne. All treatments are slow and take 4-6 weeks to really be able to appreciate the improvement. There are many other topical agents that may give you even better results than Proactive. I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist to review your options. Best of luck!

Curt Samlaska, MD

Doxycycline Pills With Proactiv Safe and Effective For Acne

+1

You can definitely use Proactiv while taking doxycycline. With respect to my patients in need of oral medication, I tend to combine oral and topical treatments as it is likely to be more effective.  Hopefully you will start to see results after about 6 weeks of taking the doxycycline. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Taking Doxycycline and Using Proactive together

+1

There is no harm is using these two acne treatments together.  You will get a much better result!  Be sure to use sunscreen as Doxy makes you more sensitive to the sun.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Acne treatment is even more successful when using something topical with your oral antibiotics

+1

I am happy that you are on Doxycycine since it is so effective as an oral agent. By all means use something topical like Proactive as well to minimize the breakouts.  I hope that your acne stays under control!

Michele S. Green, MD