Pro-fractional and BBL Treatment on my Newly Formed Surgical Scar

I had pro-fractional and BBL treatment on my newly formed surgical scar on my chest. It was just a flat, thin line scar but red. It's been just ten weeks since I had an operation but Dr recommended that I should have a laser treatment now; she said it's the best timing to minimize the appearance of the scar. However, the scar looks much worse after the treatment because the redness makes the scar look much wider and no improvement in texture. Totally disappointed. Should I stop the treatment?

For "redness" of scar, Pulsed Light is beneficial.

+1

You describe your scar as being a flat thin red line...which is a already a good "texture" for a new scar. The red color can be decreased by more some Puled Light as you have had, including the redness that has resulted from the Profractional treatment.

Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Profractional and BBL treatment of surgical scars

+1

Non-keloid surgical scars respond very well to treatment with profractional laser.  BBL can be helpful with the superficial red component.

Surgical scars are best treated within the first two months of surgery, as older scars are more difficult to correct. Chest scars are difficult to begin with, as the chest is in constant motion from breathing, speaking, doing daily activities, etc.  That tends to put extra stress on scars in that area, making them more prominent.

You don't mention how long it's been since the laser treatment of the surgical scar.  It may be a matter of just needing more time before the correction is evident.  However if it has been several weeks since the correction and the scar still looks worse than previously, I recommend you discuss that with the doctor treating you.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon