Pro Athlete, Breast Reduction Revision.

Hello, I'm a pro athlete, 5ft 8, 18%body fat. I had a breast reduction in July (19y.o) I was a ddd in my left breast and a dd in my right. I wanted to be a b cup which my surgeon agreed was possible&would suit my body. It's now January, I am a 34d cup in my right and 1/2 to full cup larger in my left. I'm disappointed with the result and was looking forward to the freedom b cup breasts would afford me as an athlete. Is a revision to a b cup possible and realistic?

Revision Breast Reduction

+3

This type of surgery is definitely possible.  I'm  sorry you are unhappy with the outcome.  It is immensely difficult to predict, with certainty, a cup size.  When you consult with your potential surgeon, communication of your desired outcome is essential.  I often ask patients to bring pictures with them to communicate their expectations.  You have probably already found that your cup size differs with different bra manufacturers.  A revision reduction can should deliver symmetry and a smaller size.  But it is critical for your surgeon to know which technique was used during your primary procedure.  The blood supply to the nipple and areola is critical.  If compromised by your secondary surgery, would healing, loss of sensation, pigment abnormalities may ensue.  The operative report from your prior procedure will be helpful to your future surgeon.  Good luck!  

Revision Breast Reduction: Make things smaller through the same incisions

+2

Revision breast reduction can be performed through the same incisions and usually involves re-supporting the breast tissue and removing additional tissue on the outer part of the breast. It sounds like you were large and you were left with significant volume which can lead to "bottoming-out". If you think about it your breast has already failed once with the excess weight of it and it just failed again. Liposuction may help to reduce the size as well, but you will likely need skin tightening too. It would help to get your operative report from your last surgery to help guide this reduction pattern. I hope this helps.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Revision breast reduction is possible

+2

Breast reductions are usually performed for one or two reasons:

1) Aesthetic restoration of the breasts.

2) To help alleviate medical problems associated with macromastia (i.e. back pain, rashes, bra strap grooving).

When a patient presents to me with medical complaints relating to macromastia, the first and foremost goal of the operation should be to help relieve those symptoms. However, the breast aesthetic must be kept in mind. As I plastic surgeon, I do talk extensively with my breast reduction patients pre-operatively to make sure that we are on the same page. Even though I have an idea of what operation would be best for each individual patient, ultimately these decisions must be made in conjunction with the patient's input. The patient is the person who has to live with her breasts once the operation is complete. If you had a breast reduction and the result did not address your specific goals, then a revision may be in order.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee

+2

Sorry Sarah Lee, I couldn't resist.  It is likely that you can indeed have a revision of your reduction.  Depending on the fat content of your breasts, the revision might be a simpler procedure, i.e. liposuction.  Having seen the content of your breast tissue, the surgeon that operated on you would know whether this is possible.  He/she also knows exactly how the circulation to your nipples was preserved and would be in a better position to proceed with a revision having that knowledge.   I would recommend revisiting your plastic surgeon and voicing your dissatisfaction.  If he/she doesn't offer a reasonable solution, then seek a second opinion.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast reduction can be revised safely

+2

Your breast reduction can be revised safely if, as alluded to by other posts, your surgeon knows how the original surgery was done.  This is a vote for having your original surgeon do the revision.  You started with a difficult situation - a significant asymmetry.  It is more difficult to get good symmetry than people think, especially when starting out with two very different sized breasts.  It is understandable that as an athlete you would want smaller breasts, but if a breast reduction is over done, the appearance can have a flattened, unattractive shape.  If your surgeon erred, he/she likely erred on the side of caution.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Revision

+2
It is certainly possible to revise your reduction to a smaller size and even the two sides. However, revision surgery is harder and more risky than the original. Also, you will never be exactly even on the two sides, though it should be possible to make you significantly more so. Additionally, no guarantee as to the final bra size can be made. You should be smaller, but different company's bras, though they fit, may be different sizes.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Cup sizes can't be promised with breast reduction

+2

It is possible to make you smaller but you can't be guaranteed any specific cup size especially since a reduction doesn't reduce the base width of the breast.  If you re-reduced them you would face more potential problems with blood flow compromise, possible tissue death, numbness, and inability to breast feed issues.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Further Breast Reduction?

+1

It is definitely possible to further reduce your breasts. Generally, it is best to allow the original surgeon to perform the operation since he/she knows exactly what was done. If you choose a different surgeon make sure he/she sees a copy of the previous operative report.

The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Breast Reduction and B cup

+1

Revisions on breast reconstruction are possible, however, finding a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is vitally important.  Because you have already had a breast reduction, the blood supply to your nipple is more at risk, especially if you are wanting to get an aggressive reduction.  Understand that going from a DDD to a B is a drastic change that can be done. However, to get to such a small size often shape and projection are sacrificed.

I would encourage you to seek a consultation with a local surgeon to discuss your desires.

I hope this helps

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Revision

+1

I think a revision breast reduction would be possible if you desire a further decrease in size.   I would recommend giving your body time to recover.   Revision reduction carries a much higher incidence of nipple related complications, such as sensation change or nipple necrosis.     I would recommend waiting a few years to ensure you have reached breast maturity and allow your breasts to settle into final position from the recent reduction.  A full B is a realistic expectation, but the revision should be carefully planned to optimize your long term result.  

Paul S. Gill, MD