PRK and Monovision on High Prescription with Astigmatism?

Hi, I am at the age of 42 but have not experienced presbyopia yet. My eyes are: OD/OS: -7.25/-7.75(sphere) -0.75/-1.75(cylinder) x45/x85(axis) 7.1/7.3(Average Pupil) 563/572(cornea thickness). Am I a good candidate for LASIK or PRK? Should I consider Monovision? What would be good correction for the near eye(-1.0, -1.5 or -2.0)? I am active playing tennis and enjoying it but I do spent a lot of hours in front of a computer (8 hours). I have consulted 3 offices, one suggested PRK and monovision.

PRK vs LASIK vs LASEK vs monovision

+2

i had your exact same Rx before my own LASIK and i did monovision for that, as well

this was 13 years ago, as i was the 1st LASIK surgeon in NYC to get LASIK himself

these days, i would say that the best procedure for you would be LASEK plus monovision, and i would suggest 1D of monovision. rather than just guessing about this, your doctor should show you all different powers, and see which you prefer. if you're not sure, you should do a contact lens trial for a week, until you're sure

there is no way you will tolerate 2D of monovision at your age, btw

don't get PRK in 2012, that's an archaic procedure that has been replaced by LASEK; i did my last PRK in 1999

Dr. Emil Chynn

New York Ophthalmologist

PRK and Monovision

+1

We agree with monovision and PRK. Your myopia is significant and pupil size large in order to perform the proper LASIK correction it would require significant removal of corneal tissue which may possibly lead to corneal ectasia in the future and poor quality vision.

PRK is a better option BUT there is a possibility of corneal haze with PRK therefore the doctor who does your treatment should consider using Mitomycin  which is used during the PRK treatment to reduce the possibility of haze.

Regarding monovision and your lifestyle. Tennis and computers are very different in terms of  visual function but you CAN have good vision for both of those activities.   Here is what we would recommend have the surgeon determine your dominant eye and do that dominant eye for minus .50 diopter and do the non-dominant eye (the near vision eye) for minus 1.25 to minus 1.50 diopters. If you are able to achieve  those prescriptions after your surgery you should be able to drive, watch movies,  read and use the computer well into your late 50s and early 60’s without glasses.
We have done this type of correction for patients in our office for many years and everyone has been very pleased and happy with their vision. 

Good luck you only have 2 eyes.

Los Angeles Ophthalmologist