What Can I Do Prior to Surgery to Reduce Risks Associated with Mini Tummy Tuck?

I am 32 years old, had 3 children now 14, 11, and 6. I am finally going through with the surgery I have wanted for 14 years! I am extremely nervous about going under and the risks associated with the anesthesia and the surgery. what can I do prior to surgery (2 weeks away) to help reduce my risks? and is it possible to be back to a desk job after just 11 days off with the mini tuck and a small amount of lipo? My dr. will also correct the lower abdominal muscles but said they are not bad.

Preparing for Mini-Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Assuming you in good health and consume a healthy diet ( and avoid the use of nicotine)  is how much else to do in preparation for surgery.

You should be aware however that is extremely unusual for a patient who has had 3 children to be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck  procedure.

A few words of caution for future patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

To reduce risk, avoid smoking, alcohol, drugs, herbs, and mega dosing vitamins.  Read all of your instructions, and call their office if something is not clear.  Then, relax and enjoy the benefits of modern technology.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

How to best prepare prior to a mini tummy tuck

+1

Typically, your plastic surgeon will review what you should do and avoid before your surgery. If he/she has not, you should contact the office to receive the information.

For my patients, they are to avoid blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, etc. starting 2 weeks prior to surgery. If you are a smoker, it is best to stop one month prior to surgery. Finally, I do suggest taking high dose Vit C such as 1000 mg to 2000 mg/ day and multi-vitamins starting a few weeks prior to surgery - in addition to a well balanced diet.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Increasing surgery safety

+1

If you are in good general health,eat right, aren't diabetic or hypertensive, don't smoke and drink only in moderation you will likely do great! Your Doctor probably gave you a list of medicines/foods to avoid prior to surgery (ones that "thin" your blood), read it carefully. The risk of general anesthesia for healthy individuals is exceedingly low when performed in an accredited setting. 11 days should be enough recovery time to return to clerical type work. Good luck!!!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini-tummy tuck

+1

The most important thing to do prior to surgery is to avoid any medications that could thin your blood and leave you with bleeding issues.