How to Fix Implants After Revision Surgery

I previously asked- are gummy bears worth it? I have had the following ops: breast aug, 500 cc saline overfilled to 575 cc, under the muscle, beautiful results. HAD A BABY- Required a 2nd surgery- NEW ONES 200cc smaller, silicone gel- ABOVE THE MUSCLE. I did not want this- but told this was a good option.

NOW, I have severe rippling, I am out $10,000- and this was already my 2nd AUG and now lift.

My dilemma- The best result? How to achieve? I want the 575 cc's back. And ripples are depressing!

Revision of Breast Implants

+1

I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem and understand your frustration.  You need to return to your surgeon to discuss your thoughts and get options for your repair.  Or, if you are not willing to return to this surgeon, seek a different board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation.  You might look into what is known as a "neo-pocket" and return to the submuscular position to help with the rippling issue.  Best wishes!

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision

+1

There are many advantages of  replacing  the implants  into the submuscular position.  This may be very helpful in treating the “severe rippling” that you are experiencing. In order to achieve the results you're looking for clear communication with your plastic surgeon is essential. Also, make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Ask to see results of other patients who have had similar operations done.

If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Revision breast augmentation surgery after pregnancy

+1

I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with your second breast augmentation surgery.

I am surprised that your surgeon elected to go with a smaller implant but did not inform you of the risks of droopiness.  Especially after having a pregnancy (breasts engorged and skin stretched) and then going to a  smaller implant I would typically talk to the patient about requiring a lift procedure as well.

The silicone gel implants are high quality and usually problems with rippling are rare.

Also I'm surprised about the cost of your secondary surgery.  I don't know what the market is like in Rhode Island, but you paid about twice what I charge for the same procedure.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon