With Previous Large Vertical Scar, What Type of Tummy Tuck Do I Need?

I have had a previous surgery over 20 years ago. The long scar that was left behind has always been a big insecurity of mine. In addition, I have a large amount of stretch marks from pregnancy. If I go with a tummy tuck, I don't like the idea of having a new horizontal scar on top of what I already have. Decreasing my amount of stretch marks with the least amount of scarring is my main concern. If I could also improve the appearance of my current scar that would be phenomenal. Thank you.

Vertical scar and tummy tuck

+1

Normally the vertical scar is not needed for a tummy tuck.  Revision of the scar can be done along with a tummy tuck or alone.  In your case you already have it so it should be used to some degree.  If you don't have much skin under your belly button then revision of the scar can be done with some removal centrally.  If there is a pooch when you sit, then a horizontal scar will be neeed.  Thanks to your midline scar, your belly button can be placed anywhere.  Best wishes,

Tummy tuck

+1

You look like you  may be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck that would get rid of many stretch marks and keep the larger portion of yoru incision in the bikini line. A portion of your vertical scar will stay.

Tummy tuck with old vertical scar

+1

Based on your picture, a standard tummy tuck with a low incision in your bikini line would be a good start. However, you do have very loose skin and the old vertical scar. In your case, it may be reasonable to use a vertical scar with the standard abdominoplasty to remove more stretch marks and loose skin. The trade-off is more scars and with your dark skin type, the scar may stay darker for a long time. Your surgeon may also need to revise your old scar at the time of the tummy tuck since it may prevent your abdominal skin from being pulled down.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon