How Does Previous Dental Work Affect Invisalign?

My two front teeth are crooked due to crowding and so are my front bottom teeth. I have one implant and a few teeth that are crowned. Would I still be a candidate for Invisalign?

Invisalign can work with implants and crowns

+1

Invisalign is a great treatment to move the teeth. As you likely know, Invisalign is a series of clear retainers that puts light pressure on the teeth to move them.   While teeth can move when pressure is placed on them, implants cannot because they are fused to the bone.  As long as the implant tooth is not one that you would like to see moved, Invisalign will give you a great smile. 

Teeth with crowns on them are not a significant concern since the Invisalign plastic will just slip over them.  Crowned teeth have normal roots and can move just like any other teeth.  Hope this helps you in your decision!

Eugene Orthodontist

Previous Dental Work May Not Complicate Things Much.

+1

Really the biggest complication is bonding any attachments to your crowns. Depending on the movements you might need attachments may have to be bonded to particular teeth, and it can be a challenge to bond to porcelain (and there is no guarantee they won't fall off mid treatment which would be annoying).

The Invisalign software can accomodate for implants and other non-moving teeth, so that shouldn't be a big deal. However, if your treatment plan has to create space next to the implant, the crown on the implant would have to be replaced or adjacent teeth restored to close the space, so keep that in mind.

Really the best way to find out if you are a candidate for Invisalign is a consultation with your orthodontist.

Allentown Orthodontist