Previous Breast Reduction, Now in my 60's. I Am Considering a Lift. What Are my Options?

are my options? My nipple is in the right place but the bottom of my breasts are sagging.

Breast lift years after breast reduction

+2

This is not an uncommon request for older ladies who had reductions as young women.  Many women put on a few (or more) pounds in their 40's and 50's and the extra weight often goes to the chest.  Your breasts may actually be larger than they were many years ago.  The surgeon would have to be very careful about blood supply issues and do a procedure that would not disrupt circulation to the nipple.  Most patients who had reductions years ago had an "inferior pedicle" procedure with an anchor incision.  Often those patients have some "bottoming out" of the breasts and an unattractive boxy shape.  A lift can help reshape the breast as well as lift it.  If you are healthy, go for it!

Lisa Sowder, M.D.

Breast Lift after Breast Reduction

+2

It is definitely possible to undergo a breast lift after breast reduction.    A few important factors to consider:

1. you will need a normal mammogram within 1 year

2. It would be very helpful to get hold of your operative report from your previous breast reduction.   This will allow your surgeon to determine how to best preserve blood supply to your nipple and areola complex

3.Consider your risk factors.   At 60 years old, undergoing a secondary breast surgery carries a higher risk of complication related to sensation and blood supply to the nipple/areola complex.   if all you desire is reshaping of the lower half (lower pole) of your breast, minimal work will be necessary around your nipple/areola making the operation much safer.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Lift with a history of a prior breast reduction

+2

Yes, you can undergo a breast lift after having undergone a breast reduction many years ago.  However, in your prior breast reduction, there was likely some manipulation of the nipple areola complex (ie. manipulation of the blood supply to your nipple areola complex).   Given your history of a breast reduction, it may limit the breast lift techniques you can safely undergo.   Having said that - uou can definitely undergo a breast lift, but it requires your surgeon to approach with caution.  It is important you visit with an ASPS member board certified plastic surgeon who will be well-versed in these matters.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lift after reduction

+2
You have a very common problem. You can lift the breast tissuecwithout moving your nipples. Also round them up and pull some of the hanging tissue from the side. They will look good without the horizontal scar. A vertical lift with internal suspension will be best.

Luis A. Vinas, MD

Repeat lift after reduction

+2

The lift can be repeated to tighten the lower pole skin without raising the nipples any higher.  Conversely, you can fill in the skin laxity with a small implant but I'd personally recommend the re-lift option.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Previous breast reduction, now in my 60's. I am considering a breast lift. What are my options?

+1
It is normal for the breast to lose its firmness and perkiness over time, which is accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity.  After a previous breast reduction, normal changes of the breast will continue; it is not uncommon to require another reduction or lift in the future.  This ultimately results in ptosis, or sagging, of the breast with a “deflated” appearance.  Women often seek the mastopexy, or breast lift, procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and desire that uplifted and perky appearance of her breasts.  Women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once she achieves this desired shape and fullness.  Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage.

So, the changes of your breasts are normal and will continue to occur.  The decision for a breast lift will be up to you...depending on how much you are bothered about the shape as well as your concerns.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and s/he will assist you in deciding if a mastopexy will be the right decision for you.  It would be wise to obtain a mammogram prior to surgical consideration as well as get the previous operative report, in order to determine what breast reduction pattern was used so as to maintain viability to your breast.  Thank you for your question!  Hope that this helps.  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Lifting after Breast Reduction?

+1

What you are requesting is not unusual and not difficult or risky to perform.  It would be a matter of removal of “excess” skin to tighten up the breast skin envelope.

Please consult with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and check-in with your primary care doctor for medical clearance prior to surgery.

Breast lift after previous breast reduction

+1

To me, this sound like you have developed some relaxation of the skin in the lower half of your breasts.  This is sometimes known as "bottoming out".  This is not uncommon following breast reduction.  The nipple stays at approximately the right place, and the skin between the nipple and the crease beneath the breasts lengthens. Sometimes this makes the nipple point upward, and there may be a loss of fullness in the upper portion of the breast.

This can often be improved with a modified lift technique, where some extra skin is removed just in the crease area, near the old horizontal breast reduction scar.  It's a much quicker recovery operation with fewer risks than the full breast lift.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Secondary Mastopexy (Breast Lift)

+1

Yes, you may be a good candidate for a secondary mastopexy (breast lift).  In general, the same incisions can be used to perform the lift as your precious surgery.  It all really depends on your anatomy and the results you are looking to achieve.  In consultation, your surgeon will be able to evaluate your previous surgery and help plan your secondary procedure.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Correcting Sagging Breasts in a Woman in her 60's with history of Previous Breast Reduction

+1

Regarding: "Previous Breast Reduction, Now in my 60's. I Am Considering a Lift. What Are my Options?
are my options? My nipple is in the right place but the bottom of my breasts are sagging
."

Are you happy with your breast SIZE? if you are, then all you would need is a Breast Lift which would be limited to using the vertical limb of the old breast reduction. your surgeon would like to see the operative note from the original surgery. This would guide him on WHICH Breast Reduction method was used and where the blood supply to the nipple was based on.

If you are NOT happy with your breast size, you mar benefit from a breast augmentation with a lift.

If you are otherwise healthy, either one of these options can be done safely and result in attractive results.

Dr. Peter Aldea