How to Prevent Scarring from Wound on a Baby?

My little girl fell against the edge of a cupboard at a nursery causing a large hematoma about 1cm on her forehead with a shallow vertical cut in from the edge. The cut was not stitched or glued due to the delay getting treatment (3hrs-it-had-fully-clotted). 5 days later, the scab has fallen away leaving at this stage a visible gap in the surface around 1mm wide.

There is still significant bruising and some swelling. What would be the best way to mitigate any scaring? The attached picture was taken 4 days after the accident. Any advice/reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Scars usually heal without sequelae in infants

+2

Scars usually heal without sequelae in infants. That being said, the most important areas to consider are make sure you use sunscreen on the scars to minimize ultraviolet rays. There is an over the counter product called scar fade gel or mederma for children that works well but requires frequent usage about 3 x day for several months. Also, a little trick that works very well is when the scab comes off use paper tape that is hypoallergenic and put it perpendicular to the wound to help encourage the scar edges to stay closer together for about two months. The scar can take 2 years to mature in children and go through a red phase at about 6 weeks to 6 months that is normal. I would not recommend scar revision until she is at least two years out from the trauma and from the picture that should not be likely unless there is some other wound healing issues in the family. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatments for forehead scars

+1

If the scab falls and leaves a depressed scar, then a percutaneous scar release will improve the depression.  Otherwise, a pulsed dye laser will often reduce the redness early in the process. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scars in infants

+1

First, if it required sutures, it could definitely been performed within the first 12-24 hours after injury. Second, all deep cuts leave a permanent scar. However, scars in children usually heal very well. But, a vertical cut in the forehead does not heal as well as a transverse one.