What Can I Do to Prevent my Tummy Tuck Scar from Widening? (photo)

I have seen some really thin TT scars and some really wide ones? What causes a TT scar to widen?

How to minimize Tummy Tuck Scars

+2

There are many factors involved with how a patient will scar after surgery - you really don't have much control except for making sure you are following your surgeon's recommendations for recovery (not doing too much) and seeing what he/she recommends for scar treatment after things have healed.

In our office, we use Hybrisil which is a combination of silicone and steroid and patients have been very happy with it.

Best Wishes.

What Can I Do to Prevent Tummy Tuck Scar frm Widening?Answr:

+2

There is such a combination of factors that can contribute to a good or bad scar. Tension on the skin, genetics, surgical technique, and probably to a lesser degree, what you put on the scar after. We'd like to think that there are ways that we can alter a scar after surgery but in reality, there probably isn't..There has been a lot of research in this area...and nothing is definite after surgery.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What Can I Do to Prevent my Tummy Tuck Scar from Widening?

+2

This issue best addressed with your chosen Plastic Surgeon. TT scar widening can be decreased by many differing modalities. Scar creams, silicone sheeting, injections, lasers so again ask your surgeon of choice. 

Silicone sheeting

+2

You should discuss options of scar coverage with your surgeon to include silicone sheeting. One company that makes them specifically for abdominoplasty is called Oleeva. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS