Loose Skin Prevention

What steps can I take to prevent loose skin in the future? I am only 26, however my mother's family ages with very saggy skin. Are there any preventative measures or procedures I should undertake now and as I move into my 30's to prevent sagging skin?

Preventing saggy skin

+3

There are actually many things you can do to prevent saggy skin.

Don't smoke. Smokers develop unhealthy appearing skin, poor blood supply and smoker's lines.

Maintain good physical fitness and avoid yoyo weight gains and loss. Repeated weight gains and losses result in loose, saggy skin.

Use an aggressive skin care regimen. Exfoliants reduce wrinkle formation and the appearance of sun spots. Repeated microdermabrasions and retinoids also help.

Avoid sun- This includes tanning of any type, including tanning beds. Daily sunscreen, no tanning beds.

Early Botox - somewhat controversial but this may forestall the formation of wrinkles.

Stress - The benefits of limiting stress are also controversial, but we all know stressed people who look old way before their time.

Healthy pregnancy - limit weight gain for the sake of your baby as well as your body.

Antioxidants and a good diet - May forestall the appearance of aging. Diets high in saturated fats and fried foods lead to unhealthy patients.

It is amazing how much "free" wrinkle prevention is out there... just by doing the things above you could be "hot" at 50... or not.

There are many things you can do

+2

Read Dr. Moelleken's answer, it contains excellent recommendations. It's hard to not see your "genetic gifts" showing up by age 45 but from my standpoint, I would stress that you:

#1 - avoid the sun!!!! There is no skin care program better than sun avoidance. This above all else!!!!

#2 - avoid weight gain and loss patterns so as to not unnecessarily stretch your skin.

#3 - medical grade skin care with hydration. Skip the fancy over-the-counter products.

#4 - early Botox to prevent facial wrinkles from developing.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.