How Do U Prevent Infection After BA and Lift?

is infection more likely when a breast aug and lift is done through the nipple?

Breast augmentation

+1
Don't use that incision at all because I dislike go through or around the nipple because of the scar and the potential for bacterial contamination from the nipple.

How Do U Prevent Infection After Aug & Lift?Answr:

+1

Infection after Breast implant surgery is very low, even with a lift...and even with the peri-areolar approach. But the incision can get a little "funky" as it heals, kind of puckery and irregular at first and can even drain more during this period...So infection requiring removal of the implant...very rare...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift

+1

Infection can happen with any procedure. Nipple border approach has not been shown to cause more problems than any other approaches.

Infection prevention following breast surgery

+1
There is no 100% way to prevent infection. That being said, the use of perioperative antibiotics, not smoking for weeks before and after surgery, not using a large implant or tightening the skin envelope to tight which may compromise blood supply can all help decrease the risk of infection.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Infection is rare with ANY augmentation/lift, but capsular contracture risk may be higher with periareolar incision.

+1

In 25 years of doing elective first-time cosmetic breast augmentations, I have yet to see one of my patients develop infection. Honestly.

I have, however, had more than one breast lift plus implant patient develop infection requiring removal of implant and later re-insertion after the infection had been eradicated.

Certainly, a breast lift (even a donut or Benelli periareolarlift) involves more incisions (and more scars), any of which can break down, have difficulty healing, or develop infection. Infection can be superficial (like a stitch abscess) and be easily treated, or involve deep tissues or the implant pocket, requiring removal of the implant in order to completely eliminate the contaminated "foreign body" and allow the tissues to heal. (Implants have NO blood flow and therefore cannot be "sterilized" by antibiotics or your own antibodies!)

A full breast lift involves incisions and skin flaps that can also have decreased circulation, INCREASING the risk of poor healing, dead skin, or a favorable environment for bacteria.

A periareolar incision goes through the ducts of the breast that end at the nipple. Guess what lives inside those breast ducts! You got it--bacteria (lots of them), and implants squeezed through and around those bacteria-filled ducts have a higher risk of developing a biofilm that can stimulate capsular contracture, or possibly even a full-blown infection! Rare, but possible nonetheless.

That is why for augmentation alone I prefer to avoid the armpit or areola (too many bacteria) and instead most commonly use an inframammary (crease) incision. When I do a breast lift I tailor the skin and suture the incisions precisely to minimize open spots that bacteria can enter, and I still place the implants via the crease part of my breast lift. Periareolar or "crescent" "lifts" provide very little actual lifting, and instead yield fewer scars at the expense of more artistic and beautiful results achieved with a "full" lift.

So don't worry about infection; instead, be more concerned about your desired result! Click on the link below for an example of a vertical and periareolar lift gone bad 3 times! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon