Chin implants vs sliding genoplasty?

I got a weak chin with decent bite. Which treatment wil be helpful and effective for me. Genoplasty or chin implants. I am a sport guy and I been told to go for genoplasty because with chin implants there is chance of movement please help me choose one.

Chin alone the answer?

+1

As an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, I frequently get asked this question and as mentioned in previous answers, an implant versus a genioplasty depends on the specific patient and their individual parameters. My first question would be hows your bite? Meaning, do you have an overbite? It looks like your lower jaw and the teeth it holds could be in a position where advancement of the jaw would not only help to correct the position of your chin but also enhance your smile and ability to chew properly. If this is not the case, and the chin is all you'd like to address, get a couple of opinions, at your young age I've personally, have had better long term success with the sliding genioplasty for the most aesthetic and lowest complication rate.

Peabody Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant versus sliding genioplasty

+1
A chin implant is a simple cosmetic augmentation to the chin which can be performed under local anesthesia. A sliding genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia and patient's usually must spend the first night in the hospital after the surgical procedure. Both procedures can get a nice result in experienced hands. 

Chin implants vs sliding genoplasty?

+1

maxillofacial surgeons like genioplasties. Most others prefer implants. Implants are easier with less problems like distorting the jawbone where the posterior cut is made. I have not seen chin implants displace very commonly. Based on your facial shape neither alone will be perfect. Seek a few opinions.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin surgery

+1

In your case, the sliding genioplasty is much superior. It will not only improve the profile, but also lengthen the area 'under the chin' and flatten that area. It allows a natural look since you are using your own bone movement.

A very common procedure.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon