Pressure on My Rhinoplasty?

I have recently (one month ago) had a rhinoplasty done to my nose. The beginning results were amazing, but two weeks after the surgery I noticed that the hump that was shaved down to removal was starting to show again. My surgeon suggested to put tape over it with pressure, but this only helped temporarily. Lately I have been applying pressure on my nose cast all night for about a week, is this bad? I ask because it does not seem to help with the hump that is there. What should I do?

Reducing Nasal Bump After Rhinoplasty

+2

Usually applying pressure on the nose after Rhinoplasty is not recommended and if needed to be done has to be as instructed by the surgeon.

Based on your descriptions, I do not think that applying pressure will help and you should consult with your surgeon for alternative nasal manipulations.

However, it is important to keep in mind that the end results of a rhinoplasty take about 12 months to get established and you are at less than 3 months into the race.

I recommend to have a little more patience as you nose will have to undergo many changes before the final results appear.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Post Rhinoplasty Taping

+2

Personally I remove the cast at one week and do not tape. I do not feel it is necessary or that is does any long term good. Applying pressure to the nose is not suggested after Rhinoplasty. See your surgeon and discuss your concerns, you can not make a hump reduce with pressure. However remember you are in the early stages of recovery and that you should give your nose some time to heal before coming to any conclusions of your post operative results. Best regards and good luck! Michael V.Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Pressure to Reduce Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. The hump that you see is most likely due to swelling. Applying pressure is not recommended unless directed by the surgeon. Be patient, the nose will change significantly as it heals for at least a year after surgery. If you have any concerns, be sure to consult your doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Dorsal Hump vs Swelling

+1

As healing progresses you will know if this is temporary swelling or residual nasal bone. If the fullness is still present in 6-8 months it will be a minor revision to remove the excess bone .

Hump after rhinoplasty

+1

It is important to discuss your concerns with your surgeon since he or she knows you best and can exam your nose. It is early in the healing process so the hump that your seeing may be from tissue swelling, but I would expect that to improve with pressure.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD