Could pressing/blotting one of the Botox injection sites several times cause it to spread to my eyelid, causing it to droop?

The nurse told me that one of three places bled a little, and gave me a tissue in case I needed it. After I pressed the tissue on it a few times, she stopped me and told me that I should not press on it. Uugh! Why didn't she tell me that first? Could this cause a droopy eyelid problem. This is my first time using Botox and I am worried.

Botox and pressure on injection site

+1
Botox is a great tool to diminish lines in the face.  Mild pressure to control bleeding will not make your eye droop. We generally give patients ice packs to control swelling and bruising after injections.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

Pressure on Botox Sites

+1
It is very unusual for eyelid drooping to occur after Botox is properly placed.  Gentle pressure on the Botox site to control bleeding or oozing should not result in the spread of Botox to the muscles which control eyelid position. Again, it is important to have Botox administered by a skilled professional who knows how to achieve great results and avoid complications.

James Clayton, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Pressing the Botox sites

+1
It is important not to press hard or rub the injection sites that might mobilize the botox to an area where it should not go.  However gentle pressure to discourage bleeding and ecchymosis ( black and blue areas) will not do any harm and certainly should be done if needed. Correct amounts of Botox, properly placed, rarely effect the levator muscle and cause drooping.....I would not worry.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Dropping after Botox

+1
When eyelid droop occurs after a Botox injection, it is generally due to the spread of the toxin into the levator muscle which holds the eyelid position.  This muscle which is present underneath the eye socket is remote from most Botox injections.  However, if there is bleeding or excessive pressure from pressing or blotting on an injection in the upper eyelid region, it is theoretically possible for some of the toxin to reach this muscle and cause droop.  The good news is, over time, this eyelid droop is entirely reversible and should prove much quicker then the normal amount of time it takes for a Botox to wear off. 

Scott Wells, MD