Presence of Silicone in my Lymph Nodes, What Could be the Consequences of This?

I had the old silicone implants for more than ten years, I changed them for the new ones by Mentor 5 years ago. The doctor tells me that when he went to do the exchange, he found one of the broken. He said he cleaned the area very well. Now after 5 years my mammograms and sonograms are showing the presence of silicone in my lymph nodes. What are the consequences of this and should I remove my lymph nodes and if so what would be the consequences of that too?

Silicone in Lymph Nodes?

+1

thank you for the question.

You will be best served after direct examination by a well experienced plastic surgeon.  Consultation with a general  or oncologic surgeon  who does  a lot of axillary  lymph node dissection may also be helpful. Generally, if the involved lymph nodes are enlarged I suggest that you have them removed;  these enlarged lymph nodes can be uncomfortable and can potentially confuse the diagnosis of other diseases ( such as breast cancer).

Silicone in Lymph Nodes

+1

Silicone is a very inert substance and generally does not cause problems. I am assuming your lymph nodes with the silicone in them are located in your armpit. The surgery to remove these lymph nodes is a major procedure and can have significant side effects. You should talk with your plastic surgeon and perhaps a board certified general surgeon as well as they are the surgeons who usually do the removal of lymph nodes. These doctors will be able to evaluate your individual circumstances, how much silicone there is, whether it is causing you problems now or would be likely to in the future and can advise you as to what is best for you. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon