When Should I Use my Prescription Toothpaste? Right Before I Use my Bleaching Trays? After? or in Between??

The use of prescription toothpaste for bleaching procedures

+2

The prescription toothpaste prevident 5000 sensitive is really a great product for reducing sensitivity. We instruct our patients to brush with the gel for 2 weeks prior to bleaching. For the actual powerbleaching procedure we have the trays fabricated and the patient leaves the office with trays in place with the sensitive toothpaste. as far as home bleaching you can depending on level of discomfort, use the toothpaste before and after the home gel is applied. The use of 400 mg ibuprofen taken about 1 hour before bleaching can also minimize the discomfort if you find the pain is more severe

Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

Prescription toothpaste

+1

There are different types of prescription toothpastes, so it depends on what you have.  It sounds like you were prescribed toothpaste that is intended to help you with tooth sensitivity with custom home whitening.  If this is the case, what we typically recommend you brush and floss your teeth first and then apply a small bead of prescription paste into your custom trays and wear it before for 30 minutes before you whiten your teeth and repeat the same steps and wear it again after treatment for another 20 minutes.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

When to Use A Prescription Toothpaste and When to Whiten

+1

Your prescription tooth paste probably is heavy on fluoride to either prevent new cavities or help with sensitivity.  MI paste helps recalcify your enamel.  Depending on what your prescription toothpaste is needed for, you can use it either at night before you go to bed and before you whiten or in the am after you whiten.

We have found that using a toothpaste with Potassium Nitrate helps sensitivity when whitening.  In that instance, we tell you to put the toothpaste in your whitening trays and wear them for a half hour before whitening, whiten and then you can use toothpaste in the trays after to help if you are really sensitive.

Hope that helps-Keep up the good job!

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Fluoride Toothpaste and Teeth Whitening

+1

Hey beckyilmk,

I assume you are referring to the Prevident 5000 Plus toothpaste.  We advise our patients to use either a Fluoride rinse or toothpaste for 2 weeks prior to whitening and then continue for at least another two weeks.  Sensitivity is the most common adverse side effect teeth whitening.  We find that Fluoride strengthens teeth and reduces Post whitening sensitivity.  We advise our patients to use Fluoride rinses or toothpaste twice a day.  Swish the rinse for at least a minute or brush with the toothpaste then spit after use so that it stays on your teeth.  Don’t eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after.  Good Luck!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist