I Was Prescribed Elinap 100mg (Nimesulide) for a Full Tummy Tuck - is This a Safe Pain Medication?

I've looked around and it seems to have been banned in alot of countries due to hepatoxicity, i'm rather worried about the post-op pain/side-effects and whether this drug will do more bad than good.

Safety of Elinap 100mg (Nimesulide) AFTER Tummy Tuck

+1

The medication is a COX 2 inhibitor which is NOT available in the US. Most American surgeons would use an opiate such as Percocet or Vicodin as their first choice for post-operative analgesic.

The medication appears to have a checkered history with many European countries withdrawing their support for this drug even though the European Medicines Agency concluded that the overall benefit/risk profile of nimesulide is favourable and in line with that of the other NSAIDs (such as for example, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen).

According to Wikipedia Nimesulide is available through the world with the following trademarks: sulide, nimalox, mesulid, nilsid (Egypt), Aulin, Ainex, Drexel, Donulide, Edrigyl, Enetra, Eskaflam, Heugan, Mesulid, Minapon, NeRelid, Nexen, Nidolon, Nimed, Nimedex, Nimesil, Nimulid, Nimutab, Nise, Nisulid, Nodard Plus,Nicip (India), Novolid, Relmex (Ecuador), Scaflam, Scaflan, Sulidin® (Turkey), Modact-IR (Pakistan)

If you are reluctant to use this medication ask your surgeon to prescribe you Percocet, or whatever the Cypriot version of it is.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea