Preparing the Body for Mommy Makeover?

Hello to all, Thank you for reviewing my question, your answers are greatly appreciated. I'm scheduled for surgery in November... should I be conditioning my body for surgery and if so, how?

Preparing for Mommy Makeover?

+3

Preparing the body for mommy makeover surgery will involve common sensical  concerns such as maintaining a balance diet, achieving a long-term stable weight, regular exercise, and avoidance of noxious substances such as nicotine. You will find that your plastic surgeon will have specific recommendations for you prior to surgery.

Given that the mommy makeover operations generally involve significant physical and emotional “ups and downs”, the following words of advice may be helpful to you also:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Getting ready for a mommy makeover.

+3

Getting ready for a mommy makeover is simple.  Being in good shape can definitely be beneficial, but you don't need to be an Olympic athlete.  Please eat a healthy diet prior to the surgery-no diet pills or starvation diets at least one month prior to the procedure.  Remember you should enjoy the preparation and be excited about your results.

Best of luck and thank you for your question. 

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Find your best sustainable weight prior to Mommy Makeover surgery.

+2

As you approach the time of your surgery, you should be in the best health that you can attain. If you have other medical issues, they should be addressed by your regular physician and your plastic surgeon at this time.

We advise our patients to be at their best possible weight at the time of surgery. This should be achieved with a balance of diet and exercise. Operating on a patient who has 'plans to loose weight' and 'to diet &  exercise' after the surgery can result in a less than optimal long term result.  Significant weight loss after Mommy Makeover can compromise your final result since the tissues could become loose again (with loss of the volume of fat beneath the skin).

Wishing you a successful surgery,

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Improving your Recovery from Mommy Makeover

+2

Safety and a rapid recovery is vital on larger procedures.  Here are a few tips:

1. Exercise before surgery.  This simple step will speed up your recovery even with a smaller procedure such as breast augmentation.

2. Start on iron tablets and multiple vitamins.  There is always some blood loss with larger body contouring procedures.  You may as well prepare your body for it.  You can actually raise your blood count before surgery.

3. Boost your protein intake.  Start at least 2 weeks before surgery with 30 grams or more protein.  After surgery, go higher with 60 grams or more.  The drains used after surgery are sucking out fluid high in proteins, so you are losing protein at a faster rate.  In addition, because of the larger surface area involved with surgery, more proteins are necessary for faster healing.

4. Absolutely No Smoking. Nicotine constricts your blood vessels and may actually strangulate your tissues.

Good Luck with your procedure!

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for Your Mommy Makeover

+1

Hi there-

Provided that you are a good candidate for the procedures in the first place (healthy, not significantly overweight, reasonable goals), preparation really does not need to be any more complicated that maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle.

I don't think its ever a good idea to change your lifestyle in an unsustainable way simply because you are going to have surgery- this only leads to unpredictable results as you return to your baseline lifestyle after surgery.

Armando Soto, MD

Preparation for your mommy makeover

+1

Some basics to help you prepare:  good nutrition (supplement w protein and multi-vitamins) to help your healing potential, stay away from cigarettes or even second hand smoke, follow your preoperative instructions,  and prepare for your postop care, and finally relax!  As long as you've selected a board certified PS certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, I'm sure you will be in good hands!  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Body conditioning prior to surgery

+1

I really do not have patients do anything super special before surgery to prepare their bodies. I usually have them avoid medications that can cause bleeding, take a MVI daily, and overall maintain a healthy diet and fitness regimen.

How to prepare for Mommy Makeover?

+1

You should avoid Aspirin and Ibuprofins for a month before. Stop smoking completely. Most plastic surgeons will refuse to perform a tummy tuck on smokers because healing can fail. Otherwise the usual low fat, low carb diet and regular exercise with a stable weight are all you have to do. It's more imprtrant to puit some thought into exactly the breast size you prefer. When patients ask for a re-do for no other reason that to just change the breast implants size, it's always that they wish they had gone a  little bigger. You should be the one to choose the finalk size and shape. Don't let your surgeon talk you into something other than excatly what you want.  

Dr Foster  

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Your weight should be stable at the time of mommy makeover.

+1

It is always good to stay fit with a healthy diet and exercise.  Your weight should be stable at the time of mommy makeover.  It is unlikely that you would get predictable results if your weight is changing or going to change.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Preparing for tummy tuck

+1

There are many things you can do to improve your recovery. Your surgeon probably has a lot of recommendations. I like a healthy low carb/high protein diet, moderate exercise and multivitamins with extra minerals. Stay hydrated. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD