What to Prepare for After Breast Reduction, Abdominoplasty at 57?

I am 57, 5'4" approx 135. 38DD. Having reduction and mini abdominoplasty , minor lypo to flanks. What do I need to have at home to be prepared and ow long should I expect recovery to be? Surge is the 10th

Surgery

+1

I would recommend that you stay active after surgery with some walking even if it is around the house or apartment. Follow your surgeons instructions otherwise

Things to have at home during the recovery from mommy makeover

+1

The first thing you will need at home post-op after tummy tuck and breast surgery is a comfortable place to sleep in a flexed position.  This can be a recliner or a bed or couch with pillows propping you up.  I would recommend having clear liquids and easy things on your stomach available to eat or drink in case you get an upset stomach from the pain medicine.  Finally, I would recommend having some basic wound care supplied like gauze pads, neosporin ointment and gentle tape so that you can change any bandages as necessary.  Good luck!

Sacha Obaid, MD

Prepairing for your mommy makeover

+1

Hello. Before a mommy makeover be sure to have all scripts filled and garments ready to be used. Having an extra garment available is recommended. A female urinal is also helpful for monitoring urine output and urinating. For at least seven days after surgery it is advised that you have someone around to assist you in everyday tasks because difficulty moving and standing are common.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Post operative needs

+1

You will be pretty sore after surgery, so having some help for the first few days may be helpful.  Getting up and down from a standing or laying position may require an extra hand.  You may also want someone nearby when you shower in case you require assistance.  You'll feel much more like yourself after the first week or so.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

What to Prepare for

+1

The most important thing to have is help. Pain and immobility is very variable, but having someone around to help for the first several days is most important. 

Discuss sleep position with your surgeon, and have at hand what you may need in the way of cushions to prop up your back and knees. 

A mini-TT can cause considerably less discomfort and temporary disability. Patients who do office work can usually be back in about a week if so motivated. Heavy physical work would require 6 weeks off. 

Good luck with your upcoming procedures. 

How to Prepare at Home after Breast Reduction and Mini-Abdominoplasty

+1

You should have pillows to support your back and under your knees when you are in bed. You should have water and medications at the bedside. You should have someone who can help lever you up gently sideways when getting out of bed for the first few days as it will be a strain for you. Someone should empty your drains for you, if you have them. 

You will be in a supportive bra or circumferential wrap with a dressing and ace bandages. When the initial dressings are removed you may need more guaze and perhaps some antibiotic ointment to put over the incisions. Every plastic surgeon has a variation of routine on this point.

Mini-abdominoplasties have a shorter recovery time than full abdominoplasties. That is good news since you are combining it with a breast reduction, which will make you feel full and sore for the first week.

You may be surprised that the flank liposuction will make you more sore and last longer than the discomfort fom the mini tummy tuck.

Be prepared to get up and move around as much as you can. Don't stay in bed or be immobile because you want your circulation stimulated to avoid leg  blood clots. 

Don't wait too long to take your pain meds. You want to always be comfortable. If you let the pain meds wear off it takes more and longer to get comfort able again. So every 4 hours with sufficient amount as prescribed works best. The interval depends on what you are taking so ask your doctor for guidance. 

You will be up and around, probably in 3-4 days, and standing up and able to take walks or go out soon after that. Just take it easy for the first 7-10 days. Become more active or return to sedentary work usually between 8-10 days. 

Be careful not to apply heat or cold to your breasts or lower abdomen since you may have decreased skin feeling. You don't want to risk a cold injury or burn. This has happened. I think heat or cold does not make you heal faster anyway.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast reduction, tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Hi

Speed of recovery depends on the extent of surgery and amount of tissue removed, as well as your general fitness and any other medical conditions. 

In general, I would expect a recovery period of at least 4-6 weeks after this combination of procedures. You will need a lot of help with the daily activities for the first 1-2 weeks, and some help for 4-6 weeks. It may take 8-12 weeks to get back to any strenuous activities.

Good luck with your surgery.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for elective surgery

+1

There are many things that you can do to prepare for any elective surgical procedure.  Consider that you will need some help at home for a few days and there will be limitations based on taking pain medications such as not being able to drive the car.  You should keep well hydrated prior to surgery, have your bed and plenty of pillows ready and well as some plastic to use to protect your mattress from any drainage, especially from the liposuction.  I also like my patients to start taking a Vitamin B complex with folic acid prior to surgery as this has been shown to decrease the risk of DVTs.  

Recovery after Mini Tummy Tuck, Lipo, and Breast Reduction

+1

If the minitummy tuck does not involve muscle tightening or plication, then the pain and recovery should be much more tolerable.  Breast reduction pain is usually relatively mild, with liposuction somewhere in between.  You will want to take at least off of work.  Have meals prepared ahead of time.  The best is to have someone to be with you for the first week helping out.  Then, no strenuous activity or lifting greater than 5 lbs for 4 to 6 weeks.

Big cosmetic operations equal big recovery

+1

It sounds like you've got a sizable cosmetic procedure planned. Hopefully you have discussed recovery time expectations with your plastic surgeon. I tell patients to plan on at least 3 weeks off from work after a major cosmetic body contouring procedure like yours. You need to buff up your nutrition, so increase your protein intake (you need 1.5 grams per kilogram body weight daily) from now up to the day prior to your prior to surgery day, continuing after your surgery for one month. Also consider taking 1000 mg of Vitamin C daily for the next 4 weeks.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS