How to Prepare for a Breast Reduction Surgery?

I will have breast reduction surgery when I get approval from the insurance company. I am overweight (more than 40 lbs) and I have about 4 months to exercise and try to get in better shape as well as lose weight. I am a non-smoker; is there anything else I need to do to prepare for this surgery?

Preparation for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

In preparation for the procedure,  your goal to lose weight is appropriate. Any existing medical conditions should be under treatment and “optimize”. You should have enough time off work and home responsibilities or a calm recovery time. You should also line up enough help for the 1st several days after your surgery.

More specific instructions will be provided to you during your preoperative visit with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Preparing for sugery

+1

Hi,

If you lose the weight, your breast will most likely decrease in size a bit as well. Usually, women with large breasts still need a breast reduction and weight loss does not solve the problem by itself. However, you then may or may not need a reduction, or maybe just a lift. Of course, a plastic surgeon should be able to help you decide. For the surgery, it depends on your medical history but you will probably need to get clearance from your primary doctor and most doctors require at recent CBC and a mammogram (if you are over 30-35).

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Preparing for breast reduction surgery

+1

Over the 4 months, you should lose at least 30 of your excess 40 pounds. You should get your life and home in order so you don't have undue pressure on you during the early phase of recovery. You need to line up a positive support person who can help you for 2-3 days around the time of surgery. Otherwise, follow your doctor's instructions explicitly.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Preparing for Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Any surgery should be prepared for in the same manner. The patient's health should be completely optimized. All medical conditions should be well controlled. If you exercise regularly continue it. If you don't then if you have 4 months start a gentle exercise program. If there is little time until surgery don't start an exercise program. See your primary care doctor for a complete physical.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Best way to prepare for breast reduction surgery

+1

I recommend to all of my patients to get in the best possible shape they can prior to their surgery. This includes losing weight, if they are overweight, stop smoking, and exercising. I also recommend a baseline mammogram if you are 40 yo or a yearly mammogram after age 40. Stop taking aspirin, blood thinners or herbal supplements for at least 1 week prior to surgery. If you are not sure which medications to stop, consult with your plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction surgery is very rewarding and a life changing procedure.

Good luck

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Make sure you lose your 40 pounds prior to reduction of the breasts

+1

Your breast size will certainly go down if you lose 40 pounds.  Not only is anesthesia/surgery more risky for overweight patients, I have seen many patients who do not need the breast reduction if they lose 40 pounds.  Or maybe you  would only need a lift.  Best of luck.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery preparation

+1

Good luck with your breast reduction surgery. I usually recommend avoiding blood thinning medications and herbals. Patients will often have a baseline mammogram performed. Depending upon your age and medical history, I often get a preoperative clearance from the patient's medical doctor.

Get a mammogram pre-op

+1

If you are close to 40 years of age, or have a family history of breast cancer, its important to get a pre-operative screening mammogram.

There have been some medical studies published recently that quote a small, but not insignificant chance of pre-malignant and malignant breast tissue being discovered in breast reductions specimens. Pre-op mammography is not going to discover all of these cases, but may pick up a few pre-operatively, thus altering surgical management.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.