Should I Prep with Retin-A and Bleaching Cream Before Mixto Laser?

I am getting the Mixto microfractional h20 resurfacing laser next month.... and the doctor has instructed me to begin prepping with retin-a and hydroquinone ( a bleaching agent) for 2-3 weeks before the treatment so that he would be able to perform the procedure more aggressively, hence better results. Is this right??.. I was always under thee impression that retin-a would thin the skin and is unadvisable before laser treatments or chemical peels. What should I do??.. should I start the creams?

Skin Preperation before laser resurfacing

+2

Our patients are put on a highly customized skin care regimen before Microfractuinal Laser Resurfacing. We  start with an antioxidant with vitamin C and Greentea. All patients are put on an exfoliator such as 10% Glycolic acid Lotion to thin the topmost layer of the skin. (Stratum Cornium) We do this so that a 6% solution of Hydroquinone can easily penatrate to the pigment producing cells (Melanocytes). This Medicine slows down extra pigment production. This prevents dark streaking and/or hyper pigmentation after surgery.

San Ramon Dermatologist

Pre-op prep prior to laser resurfacing

+1

Pre-op prep prior to laser resurfacing is critical and should be customized by a board-certified dermatologist with the experience to minimize post-treatment complication such as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. For ethnic skin, I have found pre-op prep using prescription-strength topical retinoid and hydroquinone based bleaching cream to be instrumental for overall treatment satisfaction.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon