Didn't Use Preoperative Soap Scrub Before Breast Augmentation - Higher Risk for Infection?

I had breast augmentation done yesterday (29th) through the nipple and just realized after reading over the booklet that I did not purchase and use a special prescrub soap for the two days prior to the surgery. My surgeon did however place a pink or red antiseptic from my hips to neck during the procedure. In your professional opinion is there a risk of infection by not scrubbing two days beforehand? Now I am worried bacteria from my skin was introduced into the capsule or onto the implant.

Failing to scrub your breasts before surgery should not increase your risks of infection or capsular contraction.

+2

I do not presently prescribe a preoperative scrub for my breast augment patients and have not done so throughout my career. My infection rate for this operation is certainly no higher then reported by most studies which in general is quite rare. Nor is my capsular contraction rate any higher then average. The prep that your surgeon uses just before surgery and the irrigation of your implant pocket with antibiotics during surgery is all that is usually required. I hope this helps to allay your fears.

Wait and see: Patient didn't follow preoperative instrucitons for antiseptic antibiotic use.

+1

AS they say, it's too late to cry over spilled milk. At this point its not worth you worrying. Read and follow the rest of the instructions. Fortunalely there is a relatively low rate of infection with breast implants (~0.3%). Just don't blame the doctor if you get an infection!

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/