Can Prenatal Vitamins Be Taken for Tummy Tuck?

I had a baby a few months ago and I been taking prenatal vitamins.can I keep taking them before and after tummy tuck or do I need to take something different

Vitamins and tummy tuck

+2

A healthy well-balanced diet is all you need to recover from surgery. If your diet is inconsistent then a multivitamin can help. This should be all you need. 

Prenatal Vitamins for Tummy Tuck?

+2

Although prenatal vitamins will be okay prior to tummy tuck surgery,  they are not usually necessary.

Assuming you are on a  healthy, well-balanced diet there should be no reason to change or supplement your diet prior to surgery. Your plastic surgeon will have a list of foods, supplements, herbs, and medications to avoid prior to surgery.

Also, there is no specific “recommended diet” for the post-tummy tuck patient. A well-balanced diet with high fiber and a good protein source would obviously be helpful. Adding a protein shake ( to each meal) if necessary may also be helpful especially if your appetite is curtailed ( which often happens during this period). Frequent hydration is also important.

Prenatal vitamins can be taken for tummy tuck

+2

Patients often ask what vitamins and supplementals will help for tummy tuck. A well balanced diet is really all that you need. Prenatal vitamins, and even a women's daily vitamin will not be harmful, though actual benefits are unproven. If you feel better taking them, you can do it safely.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Pre-natal Vitamins would not benefit most people after Tummy Tuck

+2

Hi there-

As my esteemed colleague says, unless you are pregnant or have a nutritionally deficient diet, there is no benefit to taking PNVs before or after your Tummy Tuck. 

Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, and you should heal well. 

The only other supplement to consider and discuss with your surgeon is Arnica, with or without Bromelain. These supplements have shown some reduction in swelling and bruising after elective surgery.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Prenatal Viamins and Tummy Tuck Healing

+2

Prenatal Viamins are rich in Viamins and minerals required for the heathy growth of the fetus. Most Amercans are NOT vitamins or minerals deficient and d not require multivitamins much less the mega doses of vitamins required in pregnanc ( epically to prevent spinal cord anomalies). In a tummy tuck the patient would benefit from a high protein diet to help the healing process take place without hitches. You may want to increase your nake f lean protein and lower your carbohydrates intake. 

Good luck with your surgery. 

They are fine to continue to take

+1

A prenatal vitamin or muti-vitamin is fine to continue to take.  Your PS will probably be giving you a list of medications, vitamins and herbal supplements to avoid several weeeks before surgery but a prenatal vitamin alone should not be of concern.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins prior to tummy tuck

+1

Yes, we encourage use of vitamins prior to surgery.  However, you should check with your surgeon and follow their recommendations.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Prenatal Vitamins Prior to a Tummy Tuck?

+1

What's most important is that you eat a healthy well balanced diet. Likely you do not need the vitamins you are taking if you are eating healthy, but it will not hurt anything if you continue to take then. 

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon