Pregnant. If I Am Planning a Tummy Tuck Should I Have a C-section or Vaginal Delivery Now?

I've always had a bunch of loose skin under the belly button and have wanted a tummy tuck my whole life. My weight has gone up and down but even at my strongest, fittest shape, my lower tummy was embarrassingly big. I'm 36 weeks pregnant, and was planning to go for a vaginal birth but am worried about vaginal looseness. Should I elect to have a c-section to start with. Me:40, FTM, 213 lbs. 

C-section or vaginal birth before tummy tuck

+1

The choice between a c-section and vaginal birth is an ostetrical question not a plastic surgery one and is up to your obstetrician. A tummy tuck can be done after either with the same results. Congratulations on the addition to your family. Be sure to enjoy the time with your new baby and don't rush into the tummy tuck.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is another easy one: do what's best for you and your baby. Your obstetrician is the best person to guide you here.

Plastic surgeons are very resourceful and are trained to deal with whatever you bring to the table after your delivery.

Good luck with your delivery!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Do what is best for your baby

+1

Now that you are going to be a mother your choices should be directed at what is best for your baby's safe delivery.  Whether you have a vaginal delivery or a c-section will not effect a future TT.  "Vaginal looseness"  is not  a certainty and one that can be addressed should it occur.  These choices should be discussed with your obstetrician.  Has he/she given you that "option"?  Many will only do a section if it is medically indicated.  Will your insurance cover an "elective" c-section?  You may not have a choice to make in regards to your delivery.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

C-section or Vaginal Delivery Should Be Determined By OB

+1

Whether you have a vaginal delivery or a C-section at the end of your pregnancy is a decision that should be made by your obstetrician and should not be influenced on your desire for a tummy tuck.  He/she will let you know    which will be safer for you and your child.  It really makes no difference as far as a future tummy tuck is concerned.

John Whitt, MD

Vaginal or C-section delivery before Tummy Tuck

+1

The discussion of the benefits of Vaginal versus C-section delivery usually  involve discussing what's of course best for the baby and the mother's immediate health.  A pregnancy itself can be most responsible for pelvic floor laxity so I doubt there is any significant benefit of choosing a C-section over a vaginal delivery. I'd recommend to do what is best for you and your baby at the time of delivery based on the information you receive from your obstetrician.  After your delivery, get back into a safe diet and exercise routine so that someday you will be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck to correct skin and abdominal muscle laxity.  Good luck with your delivery.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Don't think about the tummy tuck!

+1

You should do whatever your OB/Gyn suggests is safest for you and your soon to be born baby.  The cosmetic issues of you tummy can be dealt with after your pregnancy and will not be altered by you choice of delivery option.  Good luck!

Dev Wali, MD

Natural childbirth or C-section before a tummy tuck

+1

The first question should be is a C-section an option to you. Unless there are medical indications most women don't seem to have a choice. The C-section is attractive to many as you can 'choose' your delivery date and avoid labor, perhaps reduce risks of pelvic floor weakness, incontinence, tears, though is it an option? Either way, the tummy tuck will work out for you after your have regained tone and lost baby fat.

peterejohnsonmd