Pregnant and Implants May Have Ruptured

in 3rd tri of pregnancy & pretty sure my NATRELLE saline implants implants which were put in through my belly button about 2 years ago are leaking. My surgeon is across U.S. so I can't go see him. I don't know what to do. They still have size but are almost saggy & when on my back they distort.

Leaking / Deflating Saline Breast Implant Pose NO Threat

+2

Leaking Saline Breast Implants pose no threat to you or your pregnancy. They gradually deflate and the salt water is absorbed by the body. I would focus on your new baby instead. Once you are done lactating and the breasts have reached their stable state (6 months after last breast feeding) you can have the breast implants exchanged.

Leaking saline from breast implants should not be dangerous to a pregnancy

+2

The first thing to know is that even if your implants are leaking, saline is just salt water and not toxic in any way to you or to your baby. So you do not have to worry about that. In the worst case scenario, the implants have deflated, and you have lost the results of your augmentation, but this is not an emergency. You can choose to have them removed or replaced after the baby is born and 6 months after you have finished nursing. However, it is unlikely that both implants would have leaked at the same time. On the other hand, breasts can change alot during pregnancy getting larger and softer and maybe more floppy, so perhaps this is the cause of the changes you are seeing.  At any rate, be comfortable that there is no risk to you or your baby, elective surgery should be avoided during pregnancy. After the baby is delivered is time to sort it all out.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured saline implants and pregnancy

+2

It is unsafe to do elecitve surgery during your pregnancy and unnecessarily expose your baby to medications etc.  It is also very unlikely that both saline implants would have leaked at the same time.  So most likely what you are seeing are changes in your tissue from pregnancy.  Wait til after delivery and being done breast feeding to see where you are and then decide if you need new bigger implants or maybe a lift.

Saline Implant Rupture

+2

Since you are in your third trimester, this makes it very hard to know what is going on with the implants since you undoubtedly have alot more breast tissue now then before your pregnancy.  This may actually just be a consequence of the breasts getting larger and there being more room now for the implants to move a little.  The only way to know is to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  You could also call your previous surgeon and see if they have any recommendations for your area.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Leaky saline

+2

In my experience, saline implants dont leak -- they just totally deflate. So if anything is left there - you may be ok. Now that you are pregnant, just deal with your pregnancy and don't worry about your breasts -- you have plenty of time to deal with them in the future.

Leaking implant during pregnancy probably not a problem

+2

Although it is disconcerting, a leaking saline implant is just sterile salt water.  If you were not pregnant the treatment is fairly easy in that Allergan does warranty the implant and pays toward the exchange.  I would call your initial surgeon and ask him who he would recommend in your area and possibly have him call for you to set up the introduction and help you.  I would probably wait until after pregnancy to do anything, especially if they are saline and not causing anything but a cosmetic deformity.  Good luck on your upcoming childbirth.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Leaking saline implants

+2

If you are concerned that your implants are leaking, then you need to see your surgeon or another plastic surgeon.  If they are saline, then there is no real urgency since it is just basically salt water.  However, it would be best to go in for an appointment to check for sure.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Ruptured Breast Implant during Pregnancy

+1

In this case your primary concern is your pregnancy and having a healthy baby and not the ruptured saline implant. There is no urgency in this situation to do anything. The saline will be harmlessly absorbed by your body. Following your delivery you can have your surgeon or a local board certified plastic surgeon replace the implant at that time.

Breast implant leaks and pregnancy - diagnosing a breast implant leakage or rupture

+1

Pregnancy represents a physiologic state in which your immunity is diminished to accomodate the growing fetus. It is possible that you have developed increased severity of your capsular contracture during your pregnancy.  This is more plausible than a partial saline implant leak. In breast implant ruptures or implant leaks with saline, the breast will flatten out immediately.  

Pregnant and implants may have ruptured

+1

See a boarded plastic surgeon in your area to discuss. I would wait since saline has no effect upon you. Have the baby and finish breasting before seeking surgical correction.  

From MIAMI DR. B