I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant and I Had Botox

Hi there, 1 weeks ago I found out I was 12 weeks pregnant and 2 weeks ago I had botox injections on my face: around eye and forehead. I did not know I was pregnant! Can a medical professional help me to understand the consequences? I have read many the things about low birth weight and deformity's in rabbits and mice.. I'm really worried about my situation!! Thanks a lot!

Botox Injection During Pregnancy

+4

Dear Writer, I am a dermatologist and I too had my Botox injection early in my pregnancy when I did not know I was expecting. I did an extensive search on Botox and Pregnancy in humans, which my colleagues have already mentioned in their statements, and was reassured once again that my pregnancy was going to be just fine. I had my Botox injection on my sixth week of pregnancy (an even more important period in general because organ formation in the embryo happens in the first eight weeks) and today I have a beautiful and healthy five-year-old boy. Enjoy your pregnancy and Congratulations!! P.S. The amount of units of Botox injected around the eyes and in the forehead is relatively small, should stay in the area of the injection targeting the muscles of expression and, even if minimal amounts could go in the blood stream, it would be imperceptible and not able to harm your baby. Dr. Bowes

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox While Pregnant.

+2

Hi Jackye.  Because there are large scale or long term studies for the effect of Botox on a fetus, we simply do not know.  With that said, it is fairly well accepted in this community that Botox has very little chance of affecting your child.  The product does not move easily once injected into the facial muscle and therefore should not travel to the point where it would interact with the fetus, at least in any detectable way.

Most if not all practitioners will advise against cosmetic procedures such as Botox during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  As the others have stated, check in with your obstetrician if you have further concerns.  Good luck with the baby.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox during pregnancy

+2
No large scale studies have been done to determine the safety of Botox during pregnancy but this does not necessarily imply that it will cause your fetus harm. Many patients have had Botox before they knew they were pregnant and no adverse effects have been reported. Botox is used to target specific muscles and is unlikely to effect your fetus.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox during pregnancy

+2
Although it is recommended that Botox cosmetic be avoided during pregnancy and when a woman is breast feeding it is unlikely to affect your baby. Injection for cosmetic purposes is unlikely to have effects in other parts of the body. Nonetheless, contact your obstetrician and Allergan for more information. Congratulations! Dina Strachan, MD. NYC dermatologist. 212-627-1004

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Please search this site.

+2

This topic has come up numerous times.  A visit with your obstetrician is strongly advised.  The animal studies are theoretical.  They may not have any bearing on humans.  The decisions are always individual.  There is a tiny study of woman who had BOTOX while being pregnant and it this small group, there were no problems with the pregnancies that went to term.  So it is recommended that you see your obstetrician to discuss the situation and have personalized recommendation in a situation where there are no definite answers.

Botox during pregnancy

+2

While we do not inject women who know they are pregnant with Botox, I would not worry too much about having had the procedure while you were unaware. The purpose of Botox injections for wrinkle reduction is to deliver it directly to the muscle without it traveling through your body. It would be highly unlikely to effect the baby. Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Rosalyn George, MD
Wilmington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox while pregnant

+2

You need to consult your gyn and perhaps a neonatologist. Also get in touch with Allegan and see if they have any similar cases. My best guess is that cosmetic Botox has very little risk of systemic issues and that you and your baby will be fine.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Botox and pregnancy

+1

We certainly don't inject botox on women who are knowingly pregnant, but I am not aware of reports concerning human problems of women who are pregnant during Botox inection therapy, regardless of trimester.

Ronald Shelton, MD