Pregnant After Tummy Tuck in June, How Will This Effect my Pregnancy?

Only two months after having a tummy tuck in June, I found out my IUD failed me and I am expecting a baby in April. I am terrified of how my body will do with this pregnancy. I will have to have a repeat c-section as well. This will be my fourth c-section. Will my abdominal muscles completely revert back to their loose state? Is their anything I can do in the meantime to keep muscle tone in the midesction during pregnancy? Very worried

Congratulations

+1

Don't worry.  Life happens.  The good news is that your pregnancy should not be effected by your abdominoplasty.  If you keep your weight under control you abdomen will snap back quickly.  I had one patient who had twins after her tummy tuck.  Her muscles went right back, but she does have a little extra skin that she wants removed.  The others have all been fine without further surgery.  So relax and enjoy the life inside you.  Hopefully the section can be done along your abdominoplasty scar, but your PS can revise whatever scar you have later.  Good Luck!

Tummy Tuck and Pregnancy?

+1

Congratulations  and best wishes with your pregnancy.

Your pregnancy will not be affected by the tummy tuck surgery. I would suggest healthy diet and exercise as outlined by your OB/GYN. This will help you maintain a healthy weight throughout pregnancy.

Excessive “worry” is not necessary because exactly how your abdomen will respond to the pregnancy is not known and for the most part out of your control.

I would suggest you enjoy (as much as possible) your circumstances and newborn. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon when the time is right for an  evaluation.

Tummy Tuck - Pregnant After Tummy Tuck in June, How Will This Effect my Pregnancy?

+1

First of all, congratulations...regardless of what your intentions were, this is wonderful and I hope you and your baby have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy.  With respect to your TT it is hard to predict exactly what will happen.  It would be great if someone could see into the future for that, but that's not possible (for this or anything else!).  The best you can do is to remain healthy, have your C-section, and then make your follow up appointment with your PS, and see what - if anything - needs to or can be done.  You may be very pleasantly surprised at how well your body bounces back.  And if you're not, at least you'll have the advice of your surgeon to guide you through the various choices. 

And in terms of affecting the pregnancy - from everything I know (what I've read, my experience) your pregnancy will not be adversely affected by your TT.  You will find that the pregnancy (not to mention the baby!) will just go ahead and take and do whatever it needs to protect itself, and that everything will be fine.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Pregnancy will not be affected by prior tummy tuck

+1

Your pregnancy will not be affected by your previous tummy tuck but you will notice some changes in your tummy tuck results after your pregnancy.  There is not much that can be done at this point.  If you are normal weight try to maintain your weight during pregnancy as this is the new AMA recommendation for pregnant women.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Pregnancy shortly after tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations.  You can try to gain as little weight as possible, subject to your OB's recommendations and to remain in good shape by exercising as permitted during the pregnancy.  Your abdominal muscles could revert but probably not to the degree they were pre-operatively.   Whatever happens will happen and after you recover from the pregnancy, you might wish to undergo a revision but try to enjoy the pregnancy and the baby and worry about this down the road.

Robert L. Kraft, MD