Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck - Will I Need an Abdominoplasty Redo?

I had a Tummy Tuck about 20 months ago, and I just found out I'm pregnant. Will my results last? If not, can I redo my procedure?

As you know, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause CHANGES that MAY require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck is not recommended, but may not destroy your post op result.

There are no large studies to examine the results of pregnancy after tummy tuck.  However individual case reports demonstrate that the pregnancies are healthy and safe and that some patients do stretch out again but others do not. So all the best on your pregnancy, and don't worry about your tummy. If you need something done later, rest assured that tummy tuck can be redone.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

The %'s are 50-50 you will need some form of additional abdominal surgery 6 months after the birth. As to which exact operation I would need to see how you appear at that time.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Preganacy following TT

There may be stretching of your reslult needing re-tightening or there might not be.  Only time will tell.  Just do all you need to have a healthy pregnancy and see what the tummy is like later.

Pregnancy AFTER a Tummy Tuck

Congratulations on your baby.

There are no authoritative answers to your question. Personally, I would enjoy the baby for at least a year before even considering surgery. Although the baby will stretch out the muscle repair and your tummy skin, the result may not be that bad and you may not need to have it done. At a year after the baby, if your weight is stable and you feel you want to be much flatter, go see you plastic surgeon then and see what are your options. But no need to decide now.