Can I Get Pregnant After a Tummy Tuck?

Not that i'm planning, but what happens if I were to get pregnant after a tummy tuck procedure?  Will it cause more harm or would the tummy tuck help? Would I need another tummy tuck?

You can get pregnant after a tummy tuck

+4

Yes, although not ideal...Most women undergo a tummy tuck after they've finished having children. Life plans do change, however. I have a patient who is currently pregnant after she had a tummy tuck 5 years prior. Her baby is healthy at 7 months...but she looks like she is about 4 months pregnant. I think the abdominal wall doesn't stretch out forward as much after a tummy tuck. That's one example!

Will she need another tummy tuck? Less likely.

Tummy tuck pregnancy: wait until after children

+4

The baby will make it's own space in a patient who has had a tummy tuck, but the surgery may need to be redone. If women are planning on having a baby now or soon, it is not advisable to have a tummy tuck. However, if they are "done" with children but can't rule out getting pregnant in the future, it is usually reasonable to have a tummy tuck.

The safest way to avoid needing a major tummy tuck is to avoid excessively large weight gains during pregnancy-- easier said than done, I know. However when patients learn how beneficial it is for both mother and baby to have a healthy pregnancy (less risk of diabetes, difficult pregnancies, not to mention keeping your figure), it makes the struggle worthwhile. Many fit moms in our practice avoid needing a full tummy tuck and have hybrid tummy tucks instead (short incision, full fascial tightening), the payoff for their hard work.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck is safe

+3

This is a great question! There used to be concern that tightening the abdominal wall muscles would prevent the abdomen from stretching during subsequent pregnancy. We know now that this is not the case and you can expect a normal pregnancy after a tummy tuck.

Having said that, you may require another tummy tuck to restore your shape. For this reason, plastic surgeons recommend you have this surgery only after you are finished having children.

Good Luck!

Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

One can get pregnant after a tummy tuck!

+2

Routinely, when a patient undergoes a tummy tuck, the excess skin is removed and the underlying muscle fascia tighten. Of course, no surgery is performed within the abdominal cavity. Because of that, a woman can certainly go thorough a normal pregnancy and deliver a healthy child after having a tummy tuck before.

Web reference: http://www.lorenc.com/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck/

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+2

You may end up permanently stretching the tightened tissue out especially if you get real large or have twins. We do not recommend pregnancy after tummy tuck for this reason. I have taken care of several patients who became pregnant after tummy tuck (for whatever reason) and looked almost normal after pregnancy.

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck is okay

+2

The short answer: Yes, you can get pregnant after a tummy tuck.

All plastic surgeons will advise you to be done with babies before doing a tummy tuck. Why? When we do a tummy tuck we tighten your muscles and your skin. When you are pregnant you loosen your muscles and stretch your skin. Whatever prompted you to do the tummy tuck in the first place, will recur:

• diastasis (loosening of the muscles)
  • stretch marks
  • hanging skin

When you are already stretched out and want a tummy tuck, your pregnancy is a freebie- you already want to fix your belly, and you are essentially "pre-stretched."

But if life circumstance makes you choose pregnancy after you have been tummy tucked, know we can try to put you back together again.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) and subsequent Pregnancy

+2

Ideally, a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) should be done AFTER you are done having children.

During each pregnancy the tummy six pack muscles are separated and pushed to the sides. This separation (diastasis) is permanent and cannot be improved with diet or exercise. During a Tummy Tuck, the muscles are brought back together and the separation is corrected resulting in a flatter tummy.

Although a Tummy Tuck will not prevent you from getting pregnant, ANY subsequent pregnancy will slowly separate the muscles, recreating the pooch you had before the Tummy Tuck and you may need a more complicated re-do Tummy Tuck to bring the muscles together again.

Dr. P. Aldea

If you are planning on being pregnant in the next year, you should hold off on the tummy tuck.

+2

Roxy,

During an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) the rectus fascia (the layer covering your six-pack) is tightened to flatten out your belly inside. The extra skin is then removed to flatten out your belly outside. If you were to become pregnant soon after having the abdominoplasty, then all of the tissues would stretch and you may well end up close to where you started. So, if you are planning on being pregnant in the next year or so, my recommendation would be to hold off on the abdominoplasty. However, if there are no plans in the works, then go for it. You many need a mini-abdominoplasty in the future, but don't deny yourself the benefits of having the procedure now - if you do really need it.

Pregnancy Following Tummy Tuck: You May Need Revisional Surgery

+1
A tummy tuck is intended to tighten up the abdominal wall.It is best to wait until you are done with your childbearing years before you undergo this procedure.A fully tummy tuck normally includes an incision from one hip to the other.The incision is carried through the skin and fat down to the muscle layer.At this level, the skin and fat layer is lifted off of the underlying muscle layer up to the belly button.At this point, an incision is made around the belly button, allowing the skin and fat to continue to be lifted off up to the rib cage.Usually, stitches are then placed in the muscle layer to further tighten the muscle layer.The skin and fat layer is then pulled snugly downward and the excess skin and fat are removed.A new incision is made for the belly button to come back out.All of the wounds are then sutured closed.This operation comprehensively tightens the abdominal wall, both at the muscle and skin layer.It is likely that pregnancy after this would re-stretch the skin and muscle thereby undoing some of what had already been done.

Occasionally, patients have an unexpected pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery.The skin will stretch out as will the muscle and the pregnancy should be uneventful from this standpoint.As mentioned however, it is possible that some type of revisional tummy tuck may be needed to return the abdominal wall to its ideal contour.
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after a tummy tuck

+1

This is one of the most asked questions prior to a tummy tuck. Firstly, I advise all my patients to consider a tummy tuck after they have completed their family. If the couple is unsure after one child, I advise them to avoid a pregnancy for at least a year following the surgery.

You may or may not need a redo tummy tuck following a pregnancy. Quite often & surprisingly (in my experience), the skin & tissues do not usually stretch and disfigure the abdomen to that large an extent following a pregnancy, to warrant a tummy tuck.

India Plastic Surgeon