Future Pregnancy Risks from Botox and Juvederm?

My husband and I are going to start trying to conceive in approximately 3 weeks. I was thinking of having a small amount of Juvederm and small amount of Botox done next week. Would this pose a risk in the future? I am definitely not currently pregnant.

Botox and Juvederm pregnancy risk

+1

Congratulations and best of luck trying to conceive.  If this is on the calendar the next three weeks, most would avoid any possible theoretical risk.  While there is no evidence that there is any risk, most would advise you to wait on any injectable.

Fillers and botox and pregnancy

+1

There is no evidence that fillers or Botox can influence future pregnancy.  Be that as it may, if you are actively trying to get pregnant, I would wait to get the fillers and Botox.

Can I have Botox While Trying to get Pregnant?

+1

Hi newmom.  There is no evidence that shows a negative connection between Botox, Juvederm and your (future) unborn fetus.  With that said, no practitioner in their right mind would inject you while you are trying to get pregnant and you should take this as a good sign that you should not consider it either. 

It's just not worth the potential risk ieven if there is no proof.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

There are no known risks

+1

While there are no known risks with Botox and Juvederm before pregnancy, my advice would be to wait. If you said that you just had Botox and Juvederm and then found out you were pregnant at the time, I would tell you not to worry. Buy why take any risk, even if extremely small. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Future Pregnancy Risks From Botox and Juvederm

+1

Hi New Mom,
Most likely Botox and Juvederm would not pose a risk, but why take any unnecessary chances. There was a single report from Australia of a woman who had Botox during the first few weeks of her pregnancy (before she knew), and the baby had hearing and vision problems.
You can have Accent XL treatments to your face which would pert things up without putting anything into your system while you are trying to get pregnant.
Good luck with your pregnancy and baby.
Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Would Delay

+1

Although the risk would be very slight, Botox is out of your system pretty readily although its effects last, I would not take even the slightest chance and would wait until post-delivery. You are dealing with a totally elective cosmetic procedure.

Similarly, Juvederm carries the warning that it has not been proven safe during pregnancy. Since this will stay in your body, during the pregnancy I would not take a chance. Even though there are probably a number of women walking around who had Juvederm placed, got pregnant in the next year or so and had normal children, this has not been studied as far as I know.

I realize this sounds very cautious, but that is what you should be.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Wait until after you have your baby.

+1

To newmom11,

Hi!   There isn't any evidence that small amounts of Botox or Juvederm are harmful to the fetus, but why take a chance?  You should take no medications during the first trimester of pregnancy.

So I wouldn't do it.   Have a great baby!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pregnancy risks with Botox and Juvederm

+1

For women who are planning a pregnancy in the near future, as you are, I would recommend against Botox and Juvederm at this time. Even though the risks are exceedingly low, we are talking about use of products for elective cosmetic procedures, not medically necessary treatments. Botox is pregnancy category C (has been shown to cause harm in animals, no studies done in humans). Juvederm has not been shown to cause birth defects and is probably even less likely to cause harm to the developing fetus since it is a natural component of the connective tissue.

You ought to ask yourself, once you become pregnant, do you really want something else to worry about...

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

No known pregnancy problems from Botox and Juvederm

+1

Physicians will not inject fillers or Botox on patients who are pregnant. I am not aware of any reports of future risks for pregnancy after injections have been performed.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon