Botox and Pregnancy

While unaware of my pregnancy, I had a little Botox done (crow's feet and forehead) about 5 weeks after my last menstrual period. I am now terrified of any harm to the baby.

Is there anything I can do now? Screening tests, extra follow-up, or any other procedure that will give me more peace of mind?

Should be Fine

I would like to reiterate what my colleagues have already said. The chances of post-natal problems due to the adminstration of BOTOX would be extremely sight. Not only did large doses given to mice not cause birth defects, Allergan, the last time I checked, have not had any reports of birth defects in humans secondary to BOTOX.

Others have stated too, that the doses are relatively small, and the difusion to distal sites extremely minimal.

There would be no test of value and follow-up would not really matter either. You might ask your physician to get in touch with the Allergan people. They would be happy to supply him/her with papers confirming what we are telling you. This reassurance should put your mind at ease.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox and pregnancy

There is no conclusive evidence to suggest that Botox is harmful to the developing fetus. I do understand your concern, but the small amount of Botox you received is unlikely to have significant systemic absorption to harm the embryo. In studies using pregnant rats and mice, there was no effect of Botox on the fetus with doses as high as 4 units/kg body weight. Although we cannot extrapolate animal data to human beings, 4 units/kg body weight is quite a bit more Botox than you would have had to your forehead and glabellar areas. Though I generally do not administer Botox to pregnant women, I think you should find mine and the other responses to your question reassuring. I would also discuss your concern with your OB.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Consult your obgyn

Dear Pipoka

This situation is actually relatively common. Of course no one would treat you knowing you were pregnant. Consult with your obstetrician. They will most likely tell you not to worry about it. You can have more Botox when you are done breast feeding.

I think you'll be fine after Botox

Although I understand your concern, my wife had a few drinks before she knew she was pregnant, I wouldn't worry. The amount of Botox we use and how it's injected leaves it localized. If it went into your system it would shut down everything, right? So relax and enjoy your pregnancy. My daughter turned out just fine.

Botox and Pregnancy

Hi Pipoka,

Unfortunately there is nothing to do to reverse the sequence of events.

There was a recent report from Australia about one patient whose baby had decreased hearing and decreased vision after Botox in her first trimester. It was not conclusive that there was a cause and effect relationship, as there are many babies born with hearing and vision problems without any exposure to Botox. Fortunately with the millions of patients treated with Botox, there have been many like yourself who received Botox treatment just before they found out that they were pregnant, if there was a link, I am sure that we would have heard about more cases.

If it were my wife, I would reassure her that most likely everything will be fine. I would speak with your obstetrician, and have your baby checked for hearing and vision soon after birth.

Be well, and have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox stays localized on injected area

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! Unfortunately, there is no test for Botox nor any extra follow-up that you need. Botox is extremely safe and stays localized whithin the area where it was placed.

While we encourage people to stay away from Botox during pregnancy, this is more of a precaution than anything that has been proven. There is no evidence that Botox is harmful to your baby, especially during this early period. You should be completely fine, as should your baby with regards to your Botox treatment.

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Pregnancy

I agree with the other comments - There is no evidence that botox will affect your pregnancy.  Botox was the most common cosmetic procedure last year and with standard doses it binds to the local tissues.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox and pregnancy

Thank you for your question. I would not worry too much if you had Botox and found out you were pregnant. Botox works locally where it was injected and the dosing is very small. The makers of Botox would never consider sponsoring a study to see the saftey of Botox during pregnancy or breast feeding as it would be too risky for them. Likewise, for physicians. I generally provide reassurance for situations like yours and I do recommend that you stop any future injectable treatments until either the baby is born or until after breast feeding. I would also let you OB know that you had a Botox treatment during pregnancy so they are aware.

Botox during pregnancy

Hi Pipoka. While we don't advocate knowingly using Botox during pregnancy, this is a cautionary measure on our aprt as there is no evidence that Botox will affect your baby at all.

Botox works in a localized fashion meaning it does not move more than 3cm from the injection site. Not to worry. Your baby should not be affected. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox and Pregnancy

It is unlikely that you caused any problems for your pregnancy. I would definitely review this with your OB-GYN.  Botox injected into the face usually does not migrate very far, and it is unlikely that it would have had any impact on your pregnancy.