How Much Will Pregnancy Alter Results of Breast Reduction?

I was approved by insurance for Breast Reduction. I may consider another pregnancy in the future. Ultimately I know it would be wise to wait till after I finish my family however I will not be covered in the future after my new insurance guidelines kick in.

During my other pregnancies my breasts did not sag much and I have very little ptosis. I just am extremely large for my frame. How bad will a future pregnancy alter the shape and scars? Would it be foolish to do this surgery before? I am not planning to breast feed.

Cyrstal ball breast reduction questions

+2

The only problem is that each pregnancy generates different changes in the body. While you have not seen much happen to your breasts so far, it is possible that another pregnancy might be very different. The risk would be sagging and stretching of the result requiring a lift to tighten it back up. The lift would not be covered by insurance. So, you can proceed and have the reduction covered and hope for the best. Just know that there might be some issues later - then again, maybe not.

Post-pregnancy breast reduction changes.

+1

Unfortunately it is not possible to predict the exact changes that will occur after pregnancy. Most commonly, however these changes include a decrease in size of the breasts and some additional breast ptosis. Ideally  breast reduction surgery will be plan based on your  pregnancy plans etc. not on insurance coverage issues.

Breast reduction and future pregnancy

+1

Future pregnancy should not impact the scars in any way but it may affect the overall shape of the breasts with the involution and deflation.

Breast reduction surgery

+1

If you have neck, back, shoulder and breast pain it will not be relieved by waiting. Most patients would choose to proceed with reduction surgery now and you will be able to go on with your life in a more comfortable manner.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Effect of pregnancy on breast reduction

+1

The actual pregnancy has more of an effect the shape of the breasts than the process of nursing.

IF you are truly bothered by the size of your breasts I would proceed with the procedure now to alleviate symptoms.

Breast Changes with Pregnancy After Breast Reduction

+1

I would be great to have a crystal ball and tell you exactly what will happen to your breasts after pregnancy and reduction. But I think it's pretty unrealistic to venture a guess. It depends on how large your breasts become with pregnancy. But with breast reduction a large amount of fat and breast tissue will be removed. So potentially your breasts may be just fine after the pregnancy.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Pregnancy

+1

It really depends on each person how they react to pregnancy. The chance that you will need some kind of revision or touch up is very high. You should also know that there is some chance that you will not be able to breast feed after breast reduction surgery.

So you need to think about if it is really worth it to have the surgery now or later.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Alteration of Breast reduction results from pregnancy

+1

From your question I would be uneasy with your priorities as to having the reduction surgery. Are you more concerned about having the surgery PAID for by your insurance than the effect of a future pregnancy? If you are I would recommend to rethink your position. There is a hugh risk in having a breast reduction than having an additional pregnancy. It could (I said could) cause you to need another reduction at worst but most likely a revision breast surgery at best. Go see 3 board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss these issues. Regards.

Breast reduction will help you now.

+1

Hi.

Based on your story, you can have a breast reduction now.  You will look and feel better, and your breasts may be fine after another pregnancy.  The worst that can happen is you need a little touch up.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pregnancy and changes to breast shape reduction

+1

You have already had two pregnancies with minimal change in breast shape. That bodes well for future pregnancies, but is not an absolute guarantee. For me, the real question is how uncomfortable are you with your breasts now? If you were planning your third and last child in the next year, then the obvious answer is to wait. However, if there might be 5 years before the next hypothetical child, are you uncomfortable enough now to make surgery a reasonable proposition?

In other words, would these years of being happy with your breasts be worth the risk of having some recurrence with a future pregnancy some years down the road. There is no hard and fast answer to this question but should be something that you can discuss in consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon