Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck?

After losing 95 pounds and having access skin I have decided to have a tummy tuck. I'm in my mid 20's and don't plan on having children anytime soon but would maybe like to in another 2 years or so. I know the surgery is pointless to have before having children but I want to be able to enjoy my new body now. Is there a health risk for pregnancy after having a tummy tuck for me or the child? I read an article that a baby was nearly 'crushed' by the mothers stomach being too tight

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure.  In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck.  Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps. 

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss. The good news is that you can enjoy your body now. A tummy tuck would significantly improve your body image.  There is no risk associated with getting pregnant after a tummy tuck.  Pregnancy will affect the results potentially undoing the results, but many patient have safely had children after a tummy tuck.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy is possible after in abdominoplasty but is definitely not recommend.

+1

Getting pregnant after in abdominoplasty will not cause any specific difficulties with that pregnancy. However, the bearing of a child will significantly undo the aesthetic benefits of the procedure. Wait until your child bearing years are behind you before having a tummy tuck.

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

+1

A full abdominoplasy typically includes plication or sewing of the muscles together in the midline.  This should not be done if you plan to have additional children.  If the skin alone is removed, you will most likely be able to have a normal pregnancy however, the remaining skin will be stretched so much that you will never be able to have it properly repaired again in the future.  A short time improvement may not be worth the long term results if you do get pregnant again.  I suggest to wait.

Martin O'Toole, MD

Tummy Tucks and Pregnancy

+1

If you have too much skin hanging off the lower abdomen for comfort, you could have a panniculectomy (apron excision) which still allows you to have a tummy tuck in the future but gets rid of some of the skin and will make you more comfortable.

A tummy tuck could constrict the way your abdomen expands to allow for your baby to grow in the uterus.  Why take the chance?  Hold off until your family is complete.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon