Will a TT After Pregnancy Help Address Stretch Marks? (photo)

Hi, I'm 18 and 31 weeks 5 days pregnant with my first child, Ive noticed that I've already gotten really bad stretch marks, and still have atleast 8 more weeks to go . I'm looking into getting a tt about a year after my son is born. I have two questions though. 1)Do you think my stretch marks can be fixed with this procedure? 2) If I were to get pregnant in the future how bad would that mess up the tt ? 3)(not sure if this can be answered ritenow)But, would a "mini tummy tuck" be better for me?

Will a tummy tuck remove stretch marks?

+2

Thanks very much for your question.  The short answer is yes.  The only way to effectively remove stretch marks is by removing the skin.  Your second question is, "can you have another pregnancy if you have a tummy tuck?"  You can have another pregnancy but if you are planning on having more children you should not have a tummy tuck.  You will undo all the gains in appearance from the procedure not to mention all the money that you would have paid to have the procedure.  Have all your children first prior to undertaking a tummy tuck.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks and tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

It is impossible to tell you if you will need a mini tuck or regular tummy tuck after you have your children and are ready for body contouring.

The stretch marks on the outer hips will not be removed with a regular or mini tummy tuck.  You need to accept them although they should become lighter over time.

The stretch marks below the belly button to the pubic hair will all be gone providing that all of this tissue can be removed and in the majority of cases, it can be removed quite easily.

Have your children and when you are ready to discuss body contouring, find the best plastic surgeon that does a lot of this surgery and get the opinions you need to move forward.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

TT after pregnancy can eliminate most post pregnancy stretch marks

+1

Hi,

Because another pregnancy will stretch and undo repairs done through an abdominoplasty, I usually recommend that you are fully done with having children before considering one. TT is a costly and lengthy recoup procedure. Now, that being said, if you are not done with having children and the stretch marks really bother you; you can always have a mini tuck which only involves taking off tissue below your belly button. No muscle/fascia repair is done (as in a full TT). A mini tuck is not as costly and because there is no muscle/fascia repair involved, your recovery is much easier. Make sure you consult a Board Certified Plastic surgeon so there won't be any surprises. Best wishes on your pregnancy, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

+1
Getting a tummy tuck after pregnancy will accomplish a number of things. First it will remove most of the skin between the pubis and belly-button, thus removing all the stretch marks in that area. Second, it will tighten the abdominal wall muscles that were stretched out during your pregnancy, giving you a flatter tummy. Finally, it is usually combined with some form liposuction of the flanks, further contouring the waist. If you plan on having additional children, I would strongly reccommend waiting until you are done with child bearing. A mini tummy tuck rarely accomplishes all of the above, but you will know better a year after your pregnancy once everything has settled down whether you are a candidate.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after pregnancy for stretch marks

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I'm sure you are nervous and excited with anticipation for your baby.  I hope all is going well with you and your baby.

To answer your questions: 1.  Yes, the stretch marks below the belly button are the ones removed during a tummy tuck. 2. I recommend you wait for the tummy tuck until you are completely done having children. 3. I don't know how much "snap back" you will have so I don't know if you will be a candidate for a mini-tummy tuck.  Most women aren't and end up needing the full tummy tuck.

I hope this helps. Best wishes for a safe delivery, healthy baby, and complete recovery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Will a tummy tuck help address stretch marks?

+1

A tummy tuck removes excess, sagging skin and tightens up stretched fascia/muscles after pregnancy.  If the stretch marks are in the lower tummy where the redraped and tightened skin is overlapping and trimmed away, those stretch marks are gone.  Stretch marks higher than that will be pulled down but not removed.  Stretch marks may look better in the tighter skin of the abdomen after a tummy tuck than they did in the looser skin before.  Determining whether you need a full tummy tuck (which tightens the skin both ablove and below the belly button) or just a lower (mini) tummy tuck (which only tightens the skin below the belly button) would be determined after you have delivered and let some time pass to see how your skin springs back.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tummy Tucks and Stretch Marks

+1

The tummy tuck is an effective way to remove stretch marks from the lower abdomen. The stretch marks are not really "treated", they are physically removed with the excess skin. The more skin that can be removed, the larger the area of stretch marks that can be treated. Usually all stretch marks on the lower middle abdominal wall can be removed with a tummy tuck. Mini tummy tucks remove less skin so stretchmarks that reach half-way up the the belly button can be removed. Stretchmarks on the sides of the abdomen, are not ameniable to treatment with a tummy tuck.

The easiest way to picture it is to draw out the pattern of skin removed with your tummy tuck. All stretch marks that are within the pattern will be removed. Those above the pattern will be lowered, and often are smoother after a tummy tuck. I hope that helps.

Tummy tucks are best performed after you are done having children. Future pregnancy with stretch everything out again.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for stretch marks

+1

I tell most of my patients to wait until they have had all their children before considering any elective abdominal procedures such as a tummy tuck.  With all the time, investment, and money put in to your procedure, you would want to have the best possible result.  A subsequent pregnancy will likely stretch out your abdomen again to some degree.

I could not tell you if you are a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck until your body has stabilized and recovered after your pregnancy.  Most women who have had children are better candidates for a standard tummy tuck.  A standard tummy tuck also does a more complete job of removing unsightly stretch marks.  I also believe in sculpting your abdomen with liposuction on the sides to create even more of an hourglass shape.

I generally would recommend that you wait until you have had your last child before considering a tummy tuck.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Tummy tuck surgery will remove excess skin and subcutaneous tissues and a significant percentage of stretch marks. Generally stretch marks that are below the belly button will be removed without difficulty. Abdominal wall muscle repair is also done during the tummy tuck procedure.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Ideally the tummy tuck surgery will be performed after you have completed pregnancies.

Best wishes for the remainder of your pregnancy.

Stretch marks

+1

You may still increase some in size depending on how soon you delivery. If the baby comes late and is a bigger baby you may see more stretch marks and loose skin. A full tummy tuck will give you the best results.

Michael Hueneke, MD