Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck to Correct Diastasis

My fairly severe diastasis is still present two years after pregnancy. It appears that surgical a tummy tuck is my best option, as I waited too long to address this condition, and exercise doesn't seem to be helping. My husband and I wish to have one more child, but I am worried about the diastasis. Should I wait until after we have the child to have a tummy tuck, or should I have it before getting pregnant so that my muscles are stronger.

Best Tummy Tuck results are obtained AFTER having ALL your children

+2

The huge distention of a uterus from the size of a lime to that of a watermelon cause PERMANENT stretching of the skin and muscles. If the 6 pack (rectus) muscles were not engineered / created to split in the midline and separate to allow the uterus to bulge out, we would not be here. There is NO WAY diet, exercise or crazy diets can take stretched out split muscles and magically glue them together.

To restore your body to its Before-baby appearance or better, these muscles MUST be brought back to the midline (flattens the tummy and narrows the waist) and the loose skin must be tightened by removal of the excess skin.

A pregnancy AFTER a Tummy Tuck would undo part or all of this work.

Why not wait after you complete your family and THEN regain your figure with a Tummy tuck whose result will last?

Tummy tuck should be done after your last pregnancy

+2

Rectus diastasis can recur from pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery.  For that reason, it is important to finish having babies before having the surgery. I also want to add that rectus diastasis is caused by stretching of the fascia or connective tissue between the two rectus muscles. This does not happen to every woman, but does to many. There is no way to make that stretched out fascia tighten again, no matter how much exercising you do, so please don't beat yourself up that you waited too long to fix it yourself. This is the way your body has responded to pregnancy and rest assured that it can be fixed, just finish having your babies first..

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure.  In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck.  Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps. 

Have all your children first prior to tummy tuck

+1

I would advise you to have another child first and in the meantime consider using an external binder while performing core strenthening muscle exercises to restore muscel tone to the separated muscles./

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Bad idea to correct than get pregnant, very bad idea. Have you discussed with any plastic surgeons? I doubt you have so here on the internet I vote NO.

Tummy tuck after all pregnancies

+1

In your situation, where you plan another pregnancy, you want to wait and not do the tummy tuck.  You can do some muscle strengthening exercises at this time but you do not want to do a tummy tuck before a pregnancy.  The diastasis will be fine with exercise and should not give you any complications.

It is possible to have a pregnancy following a tummy tuck but the results will be lost.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy following Diastasis Repair

+1

You definitely should wait until planned pregnancies are completed to have your tummy tuck and diastasis repair performed.  A pregnancy afterward will, in all likihood, result in a recurrence of your diastasis.

John Whitt, MD

Diastasis recti and pregnancy

+1

Separation of the abdominus recti muscles is a normal process during pregnancy. I would suggest waiting until your last pregnancy as long as you m=plan top get pregnant relatively soon. If you are going to wait a number of years, you will have to weigh the benefits of having an improved abdomen for the limited amount of time since another pregnancy may cause return of the diastasis problem.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD