Did Pregnancy Affect Liposuction Results?

I had tumescent lipo in Nov 2007. Now, some areas look the same, if not worse, than they did before the surgery. I am the same weight I was at the time of surgery and the only weight gain I had in between was when I got pregnant. I only gained 22 lbs while pregnant.

Liposuction results

+1

It is difficult to comment without seeing photos or knowing what areas were treated.  The fat removed does not come back  but skin quality may have changed after pregnancy.

Liposuction and Pregnancy

+1

It would be more helpful if you could give more details about your surgery - including which body areas were treated, how much fat was removed, etc.  Also, pictures would be very helpful to help answer your questions.  That said, the fat removed during lipo does not return.  If you gain weight, then the remaining fat may enlarge.  Lipo does not prevent you from gaining weight.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Pregnancy affect liposuction results

+1

It is a Yes/No/ Maybe answer to the question asked. Most get no effect from pregnancy but few do see return of fat in previous liposuctioned areas. Seek in person opinions.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Liposuction two and a half years ago

+1

You didn't mention where on the body the liposuction was. If it was the abdomen, you might have developed a weakening of the abdominal wall from the distension of the pregnancy which could require an abdominoplasty for tightening. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate this. If it were your outer thighs, and you see a significant gain in fat compared with your postoperative result, this is unusual. As many fat cells are removed during the liposuction, there is less of a depot in that area in which the new fat can get stored if you gain weight after liposuction compared with the other body sites that didn't have the liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Bulges removed with liposuction do not come back with pregnancy.

+1

Hi.

Doing liposuction in Manhattan for a long time, we have seen several young women who had liposuction, and then got pregnant.  They put on a lot of weight, but the bulges did not come back.

The improvement in shape from well done liposuction is very long lasting.  I am afraid I do not know what happenned in your case.  But it sounds like you might benefit by a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pregnancy need not affect liposuction results

+1

Liposuction is an effective contouring and shaping procedure, and if you maintain the same weight and level of fitness, liposuction results before pregnancy should still remain after. There is no reason to believe that the fat will return once removed. It is unlikely that we all can display bikini bodies after the celebrity pregnancies we see in the tabloids, however liposuction if well done should last. Be patient, get back to old routines when you can and good fitness and results will return.

peterejohnsonmd

Pregnancy definitely affects liposuction results but don't worry, Just do it again.

+1

Pregnancy is very traumatic to the body and can wreck your great lipo results but you can always get them back by more lipo or tucks.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Pregnancy did affect liposuction results

+1

Following pregnancy there will be radical changes to you body and the areas of liposuction will be completely changed.  After you get back to your normal weight and activity status you can consider redoing some of the contouring.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Results after pregnancy

+1

All bets are off after pregnancy. There is so much unpredictable change to your body that occurs with pregnancy that no body-contouring surgical result can be predictable.  

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Pregnancy Effects on Liposuction

+1

Certainly the hormonal swings that accompany pregnancy can do some very strange things, shifting the weight in your body, and changing the way you appear pre- and post pregnancy.  It is certainly possible that those previous areas have fat remaining that has swollen more, making it appear that you never had the liposuction.  Also, even though your weight is the same, your body composition may have changed, such that you have less lean muscle mass and a little more adipose tissue.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon