Pregnacy with Ruptured PIP Implant

My implants are PIP which I know have now been taken off the market. My right one has ruptured. How quickly should I get these taken out? Within a year or can I wait? Reason is I'd been trying for a baby and there's a chance I may be pregnant and will know in 7 days. Will it be dangerous for me / the baby to have a leaking PIP implant? Should I get them taken out if pregnant? If not can I breastfeed with a leakng implant? Im 32 and had my implants 5 years ago.

PIP Implants Strategy

+1

You are correct that PIP breast implants need to be replaced. If you are not pregnant than do it in the near future as it is an inferior product that was recalled as they did not use medical grade silicone and manufacturing processes of the shell. If you are pregnant then it might be  better to wait until  after the delivery and breast feeding is finished. To make the best  decision you should consult with your Obstetrician and a Plastic Surgeon.
This time go to a board certified plastic surgeon (Few if any used PIP implants in the United States).

RUPTURED BREAST IMPLANTS

+1

There are 2 types of ruptured gel implants intracapsular and extracapsular.  What this means is whether the gel is contained within the scar tissue capsule or outside.  There has been studies to show that with a ruptured breast implant silicone gel particles can leak into breast milk.  This is more likely to occur with an extracapsular rupture.  I would definitely address the ruptured implants first before trying to get pregnant especially if you would like to breast feed.  At the present time, there is no concrete evidence that silicone is harmful but I would error on the side of caution when dealing with a newborn.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy and ruptured implant

+1

First find out if you are pregnant and then the issue of removing the implant can be decided if it is truly ruptured.

Considerations with ruptured implant during pregnancy

+1

It is unlikely that a leaking PIP implant will cause any problems with your pregnancy. The real consideration is do you want to continue to remain augmented? If NO, the implants could easily be removed under a local anesthetic.  If YES, and you want to remain the same size or  this could be more complicated. Although it can be performed under a local anesthetic, other considrations such as size, shape and position need to be taken into account and may require more surgery than is advised under a local anesthetic. Leaving the implant alone is a possibility but may result in a tight and contracted pocket 1-2 years from now following completion of pregnancy and lactation