Preference for Male Breast Reduction, Lipo or Lift?

What is a more popular procedure for male breast reduction these days? Are the results from liposuction appealing to men? Or does a breast lift give the surgeon more control over the end result? What is the most recommended way to go?

Male breast reduction v. Lipo

+1
The answer to your question is sometimes lipo, sometimes resection, or both! There is not a cookie cutter approach to gynecomastia surgery. The condition of the breasts dictates the treatment rather than patient or surgeon preference. A suboptimal operation will produce a suboptimal result. If glandular tissue is involved, liposuction alone will not solve the problem but, if the degree of ptosis and excess breast tissue is minimal, then resection would not be warranted.

Multiple Techniques For Gynecomastia, Male Breast Reduction

+1
A good plastic surgeon always has a variety of surgical approaches for ant problem that can be tailored to each individual. Reduction of overgrowth of the male breast usually involves liposuction of the whole chest. The dense glandular oortion of the breast does not come out with liposuction so an incision is often needed to remove this. For extremely large gynecomastia skin excision may be necessary to remove excess. The approach should be specific to your body, not one that is "popular" or selected by others who may be quite different from you. Choose anexperienced surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Lipo or lift for gynecomastia

+1

Most men do well with a combination of liposuction, ultrasonic assisted liposuction and direct excision. I prefer the pull-thru technique from a small incision towards the side of the chest. Typical "lifts" like women get do not work well on men. Sometimes they need some skin removed that leaves a scar around the areola and rarely do they need a large amount of skin removed, at which time, I prefer a nipple graft technique. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Most Popular Procedure for Gynecomastia

+1

There are different approaches available depending on the individual patient's condition. Without photos it is hard to give an opinion. There are some men that can do well with liposuction alone, if fat is the only cause of the gynecomastia. This is referred to as "pseudo-gynecomastia". But most men require a combination of liposuction and surgical excision of the breast tissue. In a few cases if there is too much redundant skin that won't shrink back to the chest wall, a secondary procedure 4 to 6 months after the first procedure may be in order. This is called a "peri-areolar lift", where the skin is excised around the peri-areolar area.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Male breast reduction

+1

Depending on the amount of skin laxity, either Liposuction,Skin removal or both combined can be done.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Preferred method for male breast reduction

+1
I believe it is always best to avoid scars whenever possible. Fortunately the vast majority of male breast reductions can get excellent results with liposuction and/or some for of excision of the breast tissue. These procedures can all be performed through tiny 1/2 inch incisions. Men's skin almost always has enough elasticity to contract down thus avoiding the need for a lift. Rarely will a man need skin excision and is most often seen in the massive weight loss patient.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction

+1

tough 1 without seeing your photographs. about 10 years ago we started doing Scarless Male breast reduction Using only a tiny incision in the arm pit And a special instrument to grind up the hard the gland tissue if it is present. I will sometimes use the Smartlipo Laser 4 for the skin shrinkage. It is pretty unusual to do a "lift" in males. again, pictures would make a tremendous difference

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast reduction

+1

The days of breast lifts for male breast reduction are in my opinion long gone. I  think a liposuction can give an excellent result in over 99% of patients. If you have particularly droopy skin you may be a breast lift candidate but the whole point of the surgery, to have you take your shirt off, is lost with the resul;tant scars.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Best Technique For Male Breast Reduction?

+1

In genreral, there is a spectrum of choices that can be utilized to help reduce male breasts.  For some, ultrasonic liposuction may be the answer, which is easy to do and involves minimal scarring.  In others, they may need excess skin removed, which means directky excising skin and breast tissue in different ways.  They all work in the appopriate patient, and it really just depends on the degree of gynecomastia ( male breasts) that a patient has.  The more the chest area appears like female breasts, the higher the chance that a formal type of reduction with direct excision and skin tailoring is necessary.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Men?

+1

Appropriate “male breast  reduction” technique depends on making an accurate diagnosis and then developing the appropriate treatment.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.