Preferable Treatment for my Under Eye Bags? Will Filler Have Any Effect Until I Get Surgery? (photo)

I'm a 20 year old male suffering from eye bags since I was 14. These bags have affected my life greatly and I plan to remove them soon so I can finally live my life. Eye bags run in the family especially my mom, but somehow my brothers and sister don't have it significantly as I do. I wonder what would be the suitable option for me, filler or surgery? Thank you.

Fillers can temporarily make eye bags look less obvious, until you're ready to permanently remove them with surgery

+2

It is very clear that you have lower eyelid prolapse where the fat around the eyes has pushed forward. Recognizing this as a genetic issue is a step in the right direction. I have also noticed that your cheekbone is relatively shallow. In other words, it’s a little bit back compared to the rim of the eye, which is called negative vector.

I doubt that an investment in fillers will make that much of a difference for you. If the bulge of fat is relatively elevated, then putting filler in the tear trough may make it look even worse. When you try to fill underneath the trough and there is the cheekbone there to support it, adding a filler would further advance the cheek projection. This will result in bigger bags. However, if you want to have  surgery but don’t have the time, we could try small amounts of fillers to make the fat pockets less obvious. We can also augment the cheek by adding a filler to balance things out.  However, there really is no non-surgical way to eliminate eye bags.  A good thing is that fillers are temporary so they can be used until a more definitive procedure  is done, which is surgery.

I advise you to do some real research and find someone who is very experienced working around the eyes to save you from spending a lot of money and not getting the right result. I hope that was helpful.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment for Lower Eyelid Bags

+2

Thank you for the question and the pictures. Soft tissue fillers (I prefer Restylane for this area) can be a great way to camouflage the eyelid bags in younger patients. Once you are ready for surgery, there are multiple options, including removing the fat using an incision from the inside of the eyelid.  If you have extra skin, however, an external eyelid lift would be indicated. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preferable Treatment for my Under Eye Bags? Will Filler Have Any Effect Until I Get Surgery?

+2

Restylane to the tear troughs will produce a nice improvement.  There are so many variants on lower lid blepharoplasty, but your surgeon will have a preference and many approaches can work.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

Undereye and cheek dermal filler treatments can be expected to improve your undereye hollowing and camouflage the undereye bags that you have. Surgery will likely create a permanent improvement in this area and can be performed when you're ready.  

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers would help

+2

Dear rdef

You have a combination of hereditary lower eyelid fat prolapse which is exacerbated by your skin pigmentation, common in patients of middle eastern or south asian descent. You also have some volume deficiency of your midface/cheek.

Certainly, a lower lid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning would help this contour irregularity, but fillers can also provide a nice result if you are okay with less permanent outcome.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injections or Surgery for Eye Bags?

+2

Hi Rdef.  We would probably suggest surgery for you.  Although injection procedures can help, your situation is a little more pronounced and because you are young this will continue to be an issue for a long time.  Consider eye surgery and find a great facial plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD