The answer to your question depends on why you are taking the prednisone, how much you are taking, and for how long. Because steroids are a very important in regulating our metabolism and response to any trauma, your internist and surgeon will provide directions to meet your particular needs.
This is a question for your internist. The issues are:
1. What are you taking the prednisone for?
2. Is the dosage of prednisone high enough to effect wound healing?
3. How long have you been on it?
4. You will need stress dosages of Prednisone during the procedure and immediately after.
5. Typically, your dosage will otherwise not change.
Thank you for the question.
I am sure you will be meeting with your plastic surgeon prior to your surgery for a “pre-operative visit”. During this visit your surgeon will review “do's and don'ts” including medications that should be stopped prior to the facial surgery. Some consultation with your physican managing the prednisone may be helpful if the medications you are taking are essential to your function and/or pain relief.