How Precisely Can Juvederm Be Injected? Volume ONLY at Place of Injection?

1: Does Juvederm only attract water at the precise place where it is injected and where the Juvederm is, or does it also attract water a just a few millimeters ( 1,2,3or 4 ?) around the place where it is injected so a wider area is gained in volume ? So how precisely is the effect of Juvederm.

Juvederm and Restylane act as fillers by binding water

+2

Both Restylane and Juvederm bind water molecules. As the months pass and some of the molecules of the filler dissolve, the remaining molecules now have a wider surface area that can bind more water and maintain its augmented volume replacement effect. This is different than the older collagen fillers that would constantly lessen their volume as they dissolved. Exactly how many millimeters of water would be bound beyond the molecule of Juvederm or Restylane may not be known. It certainly does appear clinically to be slightly beyond the Juvederm molecule.

Juvederm - precision

+2

Juvederm does attract some water but in terms of measuring it in mm - I don't think there is an answer.

In general, Juvederm is quite precise and I've used it to fill in tiny divits in the face and very narrow wrinkles.  I've used it on myself to try to fill in a chicken pox scar which is only 1.5mm.  Maybe if you post a question with a photo and description of what you are hoping to fill with Juvederm, you'll get a more helpful answer.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Juvederm and swelling

+2

Juvederm works by attracting water.  Some people has some increased swelling immediately following the injection.  For most people the swelling resolves and they are left with a natural result and presise placement of the increased volume.  However some people have increased facial swelling due to their natural biology or a medical problem.  For instance people with allergies often have a great deal of lower eyelid and cheek swelling in the morning.  If you are one of those people who swell easily, you are more likely to have long term swelling with Juvederm.

It should be mentioned that Juvederm is more likely to swell around the eyes than Restylane (a similar product).  Both are excellent treatments, but Restylane is better for under eye treatments.

If worse comes to worse, and swelling is a problem, Juvederm can always be dissolved with hylauronidase.  That will get rid of the swelling within a day.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm will diffuse slightly so correction is not precise

+1

Juvederm tends to spread a little from the area of injection.  This is good in some areas and not in others.  To answer your question, the correction, which also involves water absorption, will not be exactly where you place it, but close.

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm does attract water as it resorbs. The original effects will be seen immediately and directly in the area of treatment. I do not think your question can be answered specifically because I do not think anyone would know that exactly. Likely water is attracted and may cause some swelling in the local tissues as well.